Draped Bust That Rang With A Silver Lining

I decided to take yesterday off to get some things done. My main goal was to head to Lancaster to pick up some cabbage for homemade Sauerkraut. Bob texted me a photo of his Rosie so I gave him a call to congratulate him on his find. I wasn't planning on detecting, but now I had some motivation to head out for a couple of hours. Where to I thought. I was home and didn't feel like driving too far, so I decided to hit my spot across the street. Still experimenting with single freq's I thought it might be a good idea to run 40 for some gold targets. The first hour was foil some clad and crap. The second hour was way better. Deciding to move closer to the house I got a fringe tone that sounded to good to pass up. At the 10'' mark I almost filled the hole back in. Glad I didn't because at 12'' I hit the seam of a really nice crotal bell. Ten minutes later I got one way copper tone that rang up 20-21 which turned out odd for the coin that was in the hole. It was another deep target, and at 10'' I saw the edge of a large copper coin. At first I thought it was your typical Matron head large cent. As it turns out it was a Draped Bust, sadly no date was visible. On to more foil products. No good targets were showing up and I decided to pack it in. I was just about back to the truck swinging as I was walking. BOOM I got a good silver tone. At 6'' I pulled out a silver spoon ring. I could just make out ST on the cut end of the ring, so it's not plated. Overall my day was pretty awesome. My friends did well on their digs and I found some good stuff, AND I got cabbage!!!

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

IMG_3647.jpg

Nice hunt! Beautiful bell! That silver ring cleaned up nicely.

The coin looks nice just the way it is; with the heavy copper patina. Acid rain might have played a part in that .

Cheers.

Three nice keepers & a day you will remember.

1 hour ago, fogrider said:

The coin looks nice just the way it is; with the heavy copper patina. Acid rain might have played a part in that 

Around my area people dumped coal ash everywhere in their yards. My guess it is sulfur related from the ash. Sadly most of the coins I dig at this place look bad. Only two coins from here looked 1/2 decent.

25 minutes ago, JCR said:

Three nice keepers & a day you will remember.

I'll probable remember it for the day off Ha Ha, Very rare I take days off. I love colonial coins and for the most part I remember where each one came from. I have not found one in a while, so its good to know that there are a few still buried.

Nice work Dog...liking the bell and the silver spoon ring I've only ever found one and it was in a park. Curious how you would clean up that copper coin?

strick 

14 minutes ago, strick said:

Curious how you would clean up that copper coin?

Hey Strick, I learned a while back don't even try to clean them with anything but a dull toothpick. You add water and the coin is even worse than when you started. Mainly I just toothbrush most of the dirt off right out of the ground, Then later when its dry I buff it on my pant leg. You also can rub a little mineral oil on it and buff it on your pant leg again. If it was a coin that's worth a bunch of money and its in pretty good shape I would pay a pro coin person to clean it. 

2 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Great fings, Dogo! It looks like single frequencies are working well for you. 😎

At this point in time, I'm really liking the single freqs. IMO the multi just doesn't work as well as the single's. Right now I've playing with the 40khz and liking it. EMI pretty much is gone so that makes me very happy.

I love a hunt like that. Relics and silver. That crotal bell is sweet. It's been awhile since I found one.

Fantastic finds! A crotal bell (never mind a draped😀) is another thing I have only found pieces of, is the ball still in it?

I'm so ready to get back to relic hunting. 👍 Awesome you can just go across the street.