Manticores Arriving?

PSPR

I believe hundreds of Manticores were in the Minelab shipments that arrived at Norfolk, VA on Friday and Monday.  The Distributor (not my dealer) told me that they haven't heard anything from Minelab yet.  I think Minelab America is dragging their feet and we may not see these detectors until after Christmas.  (sorry, Chase, I have enough evidence to believe this to be the case)

Also, someone in Florida posted a pic of his Manticore that he received from Kellyco this week.  He stated he was #4 on Kellyco's list so I presume Kellyco received at least 4 Manticores while nationwide distributors only received 7 each.  Just FYI.

20 minutes ago, Geordiedan said:

My UK order is delayed as well 😞

I've been sort of watching what dealers in the UK and EU are saying and it seems like they are in the same boat with us in the U.S.  Seems like this is SOP for Minelab and other detector manufacturers.  Too bad because it doesn't have to be this painful.

To add to what Chase said earlier......we do have current, regularly posting members of this forum that are Minelab Dealers. They do a lot of work to make sure they know a detector very well before selling one to us unlike most dealers. They also post about their experiences with those prototype models to give us some valuable information to help inform a buy/don't buy decision. They are human beings like the rest of us.........

So please be aware of this when you make insinuations about dealers in general. 

• Like 3

Not a peep from the email I sent to Minelab Americas about shipments a couple days ago.  Today and tomorrow I will send out a few feelers to see if I can get an answer as to whether there is a chance we might see our Manticores in the U.S. by Christmas.  I'll report if ANYBODY gives me the time of day.

phrunt, I hope you are making some progress on getting your Manticore shipped to you from your Aussi dealer.  All I can say is, "I feel your pain."

Imagine the uproar if a company like Apple released a new model Iphone with much advertising, hyping with promotional videos on Youtube and the likes and then on release day when everyone has their often fully paid pre-orders in and big queues at the Apple stores they send out some kid to tell the people in the queue there is only enough stock to give a few Youtubers and 10 or so detectors to sell to a country with 320+ million people,, it's a joke.  Have inventory ready for a detectors release date sitting at the dealers to be sold, especially for it's initial release, basic retail.  They act like they're a really small business but what they are is poorly managed.

They're such a poorly run business in many ways.  No wonder the Manticore hasn't helped their share price, so far they've spent a lot of money on it but they're making next to nothing from sales of it as they have nothing to sell.  The Nox which wasn't hyped up, information released on it earlier and was more of a last minute announcement has stock, and no queues to buy it. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 1:22 PM, frozen_north said:

Bold move on the Ebay listing given that Ebay takes 13%.

Yes and the seller will also have the "privilege" of paying Uncle Sam taxes on his sale.   For 2022 tax season eBay will 1099 any sale over $600, and for the 2023 tax season eBay will 1099 cumulative sales over $600.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

If they really wanted to squeeze every last dime out of us, I think a better plan would have been to keep the Manticore quiet and release the 700&900 first.  They could simultaneously (as they actually have done) discount the 600&800.  Those without an Equinox might choose the discounted models; those who owned and liked the 600/800 would buy into the new models.  Finally after that wave passed they could announce the Manticore.  Sure, that would p.o. a lot of people but as they (and more appropriately WE) have shown repeatedly, we'll grumble, bitch, moan, and pony up for the latest and greatest.  That's the power of monopolies.

You're exactly correct.  Had I no idea that the Manticore was coming, and they announced the Equinox 900, I'd be perfectly happy to upgrade from the Equinox 800 to the 900.  I'm still considering selling my tried and true EQX800 and buying both the EQX900 and Manticore.  I already have all the coils available for the Equinox line which will work on the EQX900, and it would make a great backup machine to the Manticore. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

...and other folks are pondering whether ML is creating an "artificial" supply shortage to further spike demand.  This was the unfortunate byproduct of the gotta have it now impatience and the point I was trying articulate, but apparently failing miserably.  

What? That was just me wondering that, and I promise you I am not an "unfortunate byproduct" of this. I don't have a Manticore on preorder, I'm not on any lists, the ground is frozen solid here, 2ft of snow, I'm stuck here selling a house, and the earliest I could even use this machine is 4-5 months away. My plan is to buy a Manticore in March. But kinda ironic you seem to take exception to me guessing, when you yourself appear to be guessing (incorrectly)...

Yes, I have no idea what Minelab are doing, I was just curious if it might be happening because I'm starting to see it in a lot of other places in the tech world now, especially post-Covid booms. Minelab is all about Gen Z style "new marketing". And this artificial scarcity technique is part of that now. Ever tried to buy a crypto miner? Yeah...good luck. Until the demand crashes, then there is infinite supply as far as the eye can see...within hours. Meanwhile, they'll fork every lower level model you don't want onto you en masse. It's real, it exists, and it's more and more common in the tech world to do things like this to bolster demand and keep hype going well after it would have ended normally.

For other companies it seems to be an easy way to keep those now gone Covid mini-booms going, as they try to keep profits high after the real booms are gone.

Again though, I have no clue what Minelab is doing. I was just wondering. No need to get in a bunch over it.

• Like 2