900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

This seems to be a pretty active thread -- haven't been on the site for 16+ hours and ended up reading about three new pages.  (Of course I can't say all of the posts were meaningful...)  One thing I noticed, and it happens here a lot, is generalizations put forth as fact.  "All you have to do is..."  "You don't need visual aids..."  "If I see such and such I know it's..."  "It's easy to..."  Most of the time, maybe.  All of the time and I'm calling B.S.  For one thing, we are all different so even if it's true that you *always* know a certain signal is XYZ, that may not be the case for others.  With the ML Eqx 800 I dig quite a few nails even in my parks and schools.  They are iffy and maybe I'm 80% sure they are nails.  But every once in a while my 80% (or 90% or whatever) nail turns out to be a (typically deep) coin.  Afterward I ask myself "was there something in the signal that I should have picked up on?" and the answer is usually "no -- sounded just like the last 10 nails I dug."

One thing I try to do here when posting is to keep in mind that not everyone who reads here is an expert.  Some are raw novices.  If you ever wonder why people are disappointed when a particular detector (new one or old hat) doesn't perform the way s/he expected, part of the answer might be all those generalizations that get tossed around without qualification/caveat.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

I really would like to see a detector with a circular digger attached to the coil that would take a plug out remove the target and then put the plug back in the hole.  :biggrin:

I'd like one a bit more high tech than that even.....how about a teleporter that would beam that target right out of the ground and into my pouch! No cuts in the ground, muddy knees, sore back, cuts on your fingers......heck, you wouldn't even have to wear gloves! 😄

13 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

......part of the answer might be all those generalizations that get tossed around without qualification/caveat.

GB. maybe we can have Steve H. put a disclaimer at the bottom of ALL our posts saying, "I'm Not A Detect (or)(ing) Expert But I Play One OnLine.  Take My Post As My Opinion Only As I Am A Complete Dolt."  :laugh: :laugh:

15 hours ago, midalake said:

If you're a BEACH hunter, then this is an EASY CHOICE. One extra piece of gold alone could make up the $600 dollar difference. This is a no brainer! Wait for that Manticore! 

Except that while I'd be waiting for the Manticore, I'd already have found that gold ring with the 900.....maybe even more so that I can now afford to own both the 900 and the Manticore. By then, one might actually be available to buy.

After emails and calls being ignored (during normal business hours, I might add) I finally contacted Minelab USA.  Sorry for all the drama, ya'll, but I can't afford to lose that much money and I was getting seriously concerned about that happening.  They must have contacted him because I did finally get a nasty message saying my order is now cancelled and oh, by the way, there will be a $40 cancellation fee next time (no mention of that on his website).  Next time?  Dude!  Not if you were the last MineLab dealer on the planet!  I'll get myself a sand sifter and a shovel if you're my only option.

Now I get to stress over it for 3-4 days waiting for the refund to show up at my bank. 🙄  Not to mention the fact that he got an interest free loan from me and I could have been on someone else's list weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Totally agree. Videos done in the rush to be first to YouTube are not being done with an eye to presenting accurate information. The goal is simply to be first so as to capture eyeballs. The detector and operator don’t need to know the device well, and this is a perfect example of that.

It’s just another metal detector folks. That’s it. It’s not going to change your life or magically double your finds. If that is what you care about, find better locations and put in more hours, or both. Those two things are what matters, location and hours. The latest magic wand? Not so much.

I get that's it just another metal detector, but did you or do you consider the Equinox just another metal detector? It may be just another metal detector now. Four years ago it was a leap forward. I think a lot of people myself included were hoping the Manticore will be at least be a step forward. I get the location thing too, but the Equinox legitimately opened up a few hunted out sites for me. Not just a few silvers but a lot out of places I had given up on.

30 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

I get that's it just another metal detector, but did you or do you consider the Equinox just another metal detector? It may be just another metal detector now. Four years ago it was a leap forward. I think a lot of people myself included were hoping the Manticore will be at least be a step forward. I get the location thing too, but the Equinox legitimately opened up a few hunted out sites for me. Not just a few silvers but a lot out of places I had given up on.

Equinox was the leap, this is a step. But hey, I worked on both, what would I know? I’ll leave it at that.

Oh No!!!!  CD got a new 900 and one of the buttons doesn't work right!  It only responds to a very hard press.  He's also getting some heat from his subscribers on his iron falsing problem and he's not in a good mood about it.  What are we going to do with him?

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

Oh No!!!!  CD got a new 900 and one of the buttons doesn't work right!  It only responds to a very hard press.  He's also getting some heat from his subscribers on his iron falsing problem and he's not in a good mood about it.  What are we going to do with him?

Yes was not impressed with his attitude. My way or no way ! People have been generally curious how the Manticore reacts when carrying out all the little tricks to check for iron. He basically refused to show this. Why people wanted to see. He's not the only expert. He is just making it a war now and there really is no need. 

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Equinox was the leap, this is a step. But hey, I worked on both, what would I know? I’ll leave it at that.

So...What other detectors are you working on now that you are definitely, absolutely, 100%, done with detector testing and just enjoying retirement? 😁