Manticore's Maiden Trip To Cancun With Success Pics. Really Long Read, Be Prepared.

Great perspective and a really well written article from that perspective.  I got more from this than any YouTuber has put out there.  I almost felt like I was on the hunt with you and really understood what you were describing.  I am on a couple of "buyer list" but don't think that I will see anything until spring from the pace Minelab is producing and distributing this machine.  They are a corporation that has many many working parts and the Manticore is just a fly on their a$$ in the big scheme of things.  But it does sound, from your description, to be one that will be a daily detector and the Equinox and 3030 will be assigned to backup roles. (the 3030 being my backup to the Equinox already).  Thanks again for the non-biased, experienced detectorist view of this new machine in your type of water detecting.  

On 12/23/2022 at 1:01 AM, mn90403 said:

How many hunt hours does that represent?

Approx. 40 to 50 hrs. of actual detecting in the water.  My body broke down 2 days before we left and I just quit, had enough.  When you're in pain to the point your mind is not there, it's time to call the detecting over.  I spent the last full day relaxing in the sun with the wife.

I'll say this, it's tough for me to quit when I know there is more out there.  I probably push it harder than the average detectorist as is, I'm pretty sure of that.  I noticed about 3 yrs. ago; I can't do 10 hr. hunts every day nonstop for 10 days.

I need to take breaks more often in between hunts and only do 4 to 5 hrs. for 3 days and then take a full day and then back to 4 to 5 hours for another 3 days.  M

My wife says I show up and want to run a marathon but did not practice at all.

I think as I get older and wiser, I see the importance of lighter and better ergonomics of detectors.  Sure, I might get extra depth with the CTX-3030, but if anyone has swung one in water all day, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  It's not my preferred detector at my age.  Kind of like my thinking of the GPZ-7000 vs Axiom/6000.  Sure the 7 has the extra depth, but your body pays a price.

The last aspect and part of why I can shine with so many detectors, is twofold.  1st., my USMC upbringing (never quit, just do it) and then 2nd., being a well-known detector dealer.  I feel many people including the manufactures are looking up to me to get it done and make the finds.  Anyone who's detected with me, Know's I'm very competitive and I just don't do it half-ass.  That's probably one of my faults, but I put it on myself.  I'm meagerly realizing to slow down, smell the roses and quit worrying about having to come in 1st place, when 2nd is still pretty good.

Sorry for rambling on (40 to 50 hrs).

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I think as I get older and wiser, I see the importance of lighter and better ergonomics of detectors. 

That's a good place to be, Gerry.  Wait until you start to reach my age and begin to realize you are getting older and dumber.  :mellow:

6 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

My wife says I show up and want to run a marathon but did not practice at all.

Those are wise words.  Having run 21 Marathons to completion and countless other mountain and training sessions to get ready for them ... training matters.  If you are not in shape and you compete you are subject to injury.  That said ... we gotta hunt when we can.

I sometimes go out to a bad beach to be in practice and training for the days when it is good.  The arm will fall off in the middle of a good beach if I don't.

That was a worthwhile trip. You more than paid for the detector and trip.

How was sweeping the Manticore 11" coil in the water compared to the Equinox 11" coil? Could you tell if it was the same or worse. Was the thinner shaft on the Manticore noticeable when sweeping in the water?

It is impressive on gold sensitivity.

21 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

My body broke down 2 days before we left and I just quit, had enough.  When you're in pain to the point your mind is not there, it's time to call the detecting over. 

21 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I probably push it harder than the average detectorist as is, I'm pretty sure of that.  I noticed about 3 yrs. ago; I can't do 10 hr. hunts every day nonstop for 10 days.

My buddy comes down to the condo and does just this. Burns himself out. 
I learned a few years back that if I go for 3-4 hours a day, then I can go every day!  It actually makes the most sense for taking advantage of low tide anyway. 

Just can't push yourself too much or you end up with tendonitis in places that hurt ALL THE TIME!  HH to all.......

On 12/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent report, Gerry!  Took me 15-20 minutes to read through it (carefully) but worth every second.  Not surprisingly I have a couple questions:

1) What are the mineralization and ferromagnetic properties of the places you hunted?

2) You do some (not dogmatic) depth comparisons, mentioning CTX3030 and Equinox 800.  You ran the Manticore gain/sensitivity at a modest 15-17 (out of 35 max).  I assume when detecting there with those others you weren't pushing the limits either.  So how do you reach conclusions about relative depth?

I gotta say that nothing you wrote has swayed me from getting a Manticore -- on the contrary.  I almost never go near the water (never saltwater and very seldom freshwater, not even dry beaches) so this particular trip doesn't overlap my hunting grounds.  But as Jason said, this report still is loaded with value for us landlubbers, too.

Glad you enjoyed the long read Chuck.  I'm not quite sure what you're asking for 1st question as I was in Saltwater.  I start out doing a Noise Cancel, then Ground Balance, adjust the SENS to smooth operation and turn Tracking ON.

As for my GAIN Settings, this is pretty interesting as I was at the same sites last year and I recall running SENS 17 to 19 on the NOX.  I've never been able to push the limits of SENS on any detector I've used on my CANCUN hunts and attribute it to the fully submerged detectors being in SALTWATER, which is a mineral.  Yes I have noticed I can use same detectors fully submerged in FRESHWATER and can get more SENS., but if there is black sand, then higher SENS is not good.

My conclusion is very simple to depth is pretty simple.  I hunt the same locations in saltwater at the same depths.  I used same 11" coils as those are the factory shipped coils for the detectors.  I've yet to dig any extremely deep rings with the Manticore as I have with the Xcal and CTX at those same sites.  As for the depths and comparisons of the NOX and Manticore, it was pretty close. 

What I was trying to get at.  If someone feels 50% more power is going to get them masses of depth vs their NOX, I feel not going to be happy.  Depth is only part of the equation and that's what some people seem to miss.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Gerry great write up.  Wow those are some finds!  Did you save anything for the rest of us.

Can’t wait for my wife’s Manticore to show up in this household.  She is excited after seeing those picts.

Breathing and rest is important.  I think  a few of us feel those 10 hr hunt days too.  That’s about what I do now — 6 hrs splitting the peak of the low tide cycle for a couple days then I need rest.  Well on my off days I make sure I do a brisk walk to the park to keep geared up for the field.