Question About Chirping With No Screen Info

Gary985112

Is it possible for detector to make a noise but not show screen info? Like if I am hovering over a target and it barely picks it up, is it possible to hear the noise but get no screen info (VDI number) for it? Like if its maybe a little too deep underground?

With Equinox 800

8 hours ago, Gary985112 said:

Is it possible for detector to make a noise but not show screen info? Like if I am hovering over a target and it barely picks it up, is it possible to hear the noise but get no screen info (VDI number) for it? Like if its maybe a little too deep underground?

With Equinox 800

Yes. Especially if there is some EMI on the beach it's very common because of WiFi and other things like power lines. Also some deep targets that the machine can't properly identify will do it.

9 hours ago, Gary985112 said:

With Equinox 800

Other possible noise contributors: is your cell phone on and near your detector, cell phone towers, electric fences, buried power lines, overhead power lines, restaurant paging systems, etc. Try going to a single frequency on your detector and see what works best for your location.

Sometimes coming out of Pinpoint mode my Eqx 800 shows a dash where the VDI would normally display when I go over and hear a target.  I quickly go back into PP mode and out.  That takes care of it.

I personally don't remember getting the dash in other situations (e.g. the weakest signals).  However, that may have something to do with my settings -- IDK.  My typical settings are Park 1, multifrequency, 5 tones, all VDI's give tones (what some people call "Horseshoe On"), Recovery Speed = 4, Iron Bias F2 = 0, auto (not to be confused with 'tracking') ground balanced and when necessary, noise cancelled.  Most of my park detecting I use sensitivity 22-23 but sometimes lower (down to ~17) to get rid of EMI that noise cancel doesn't handle.  I just list all this in case my settings lead to why I don't seem to get the dash instead of a numerical VDI for the weakest signals.

15 hours ago, Gary985112 said:

Like if I am hovering over a target and it barely picks it up, is it possible to hear the noise but get no screen info (VDI number) for it?

If you are hunting with the Horseshoe mode off, it is entirely possible to get iron wrap-around targets that want to register but they are mostly blocked. Kind of like something trying to break the squelch on a receiver. 

I suggest on hunting with the Horseshoe ON to hear everything! 

5 hours ago, midalake said:

If you are hunting with the Horseshoe mode off, it is entirely possible to get iron wrap-around targets that want to register but they are mostly blocked. Kind of like something trying to break the squelch on a receiver. 

I suggest on hunting with the Horseshoe ON to hear everything! 

Thanks that makes sense. Do you know what causes the wraparound stuff? I've noticed that if I scan a ferrous target, It will sometimes ding higher in the range unless I go very very slowly over the target. Is it because there's some conductive content in there? Or is it just kind of like you said a glitch to where it just happens to break squelch before it realizes that it's ferrous?

Unless you are in Pinpoint Mode, you can't "hover" the coil over a possible target and still get a target ID for very long. The display will eventually time out. The Equinox is a motion detector......the coil has to be in motion in order to respond to a target under it with a numerical ID on the screen and audio when using the detecting modes. 

You should definitely hover the coil over the suspected target in non-motion Pinpoint Mode. However, with the 600 and 800, if there are any numbers displayed they are just the last number that was displayed before going into pinpoint mode and may not be the target's ID.

EMI that is not being detected very well can have audio with no target IDs. So can some really small and edge of detection targets. Ground noise can also cause both iron and non-ferrous type responses that are weak blips and pops depending on how you have your detector setup. Hunting with all targets accepted can cause even more EMI and ground noise to be heard.

So, I would be careful as a beginner and only use the horseshoe button when you want to further investigate a target. Hunting with it on all the time may be too much for you at this point. Your choice.

14 hours ago, Gary985112 said:

Do you know what causes the wraparound stuff? I've noticed that if I scan a ferrous target, It will sometimes ding higher in the range unless I go very very slowly over the target.

It is hard to see your swing rate from here?  But if you do go slower the machine has a better chance of deciphering the target. 

Example :  in my normal beach conditions I have a target about every 3-4 complete swings. So, I swing pretty fast. Fast enough to where I have to come back and investigate every hit I get. You will get the cadence down better as you go. Almost always, ferrous targets will sound better at a given position. That is how some of us decide if the target is ferrous or non-ferrous. A non-ferrous will not have a break down in signal on a 360 look. 

14 hours ago, Gary985112 said:

Or is it just kind of like you said a glitch to where it just happens to break squelch before it realizes that it's ferrous?

If you are hunting in the regular discrimination mode [Horseshoe button off] The answer is Yes. 

This is why I think lots of us went to Horseshoe mode on. The extra investigation time was slowing me down. In Horseshoe mode the iron bin and non-ferrous bin is separated better. I also highly dislike the pinpoint mode, so I do all my recoveries in Horsemode on. [another time saver] 

8 hours ago, midalake said:

It is hard to see your swing rate from here?  But if you do go slower the machine has a better chance of deciphering the target. 

Example :  in my normal beach conditions I have a target about every 3-4 complete swings. So, I swing pretty fast. Fast enough to where I have to come back and investigate every hit I get. You will get the cadence down better as you go. Almost always, ferrous targets will sound better at a given position. That is how some of us decide if the target is ferrous or non-ferrous. A non-ferrous will not have a break down in signal on a 360 look. 

Thanks for the info. So the 360 look, this terminology is a bit new to me. So when you investigate a target, sometimes its better to move your coil in a circular motion instead of side to side? Can you explain?