High Tide At The Silver Mine..

Another high-tide along Geoffrey Bay, this one reaching up as high as a spot I've called the Silver mine.. I've found many old silver coins here dating back to the mid-1800s from the time the island was first settled.. I couldn't have wished for a better spot to get washed out.. Unfortunately, I can't have a looksee today as I have to go to the mainland, but tomorrow morning I'll hunt this stretch of the bay right down to the low-tide mark..

Looks like it has some good wave action, be sure to check out the root system on the trees.

Good luck and safe hunting.

Aren't you afraid one of us (Simon) will go to your beach before you get back?  haha

Thanks for the info.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:37 PM, mn90403 said:

Aren't you afraid one of us (Simon) will go to your beach before you get back?  haha

Just got back to the island and it looks like none of you got there before me.. Not even Geoff, who's kindly given me permission to hunt his beach until he gets back (I'm just a security guard/care taker).. Phrunt also didn't show up, but no doubt he'll make his way over to the island again to hoover up all the gold and old coins there's left to find (if Geoff will let him)..

But there was one thing that got there before anyone else, another monster tide! 12cm higher than the last one, which has made a huge difference with even more sand getting washed away around the Silver Mine..

People living along Geoffrey Bay have never seen a tide come up this high.. Last month's high tides together with these ones have stripped tonnes of sand from all south-east facing bays.. Whilst at Geoffrey Bay this is a good thing, it also means that good targets at other bays get washed further out to sea where they're buried deep.. Tomorrow morning there's a very low tide at around 2:30 am, I'll go and have a look at two south-east facing bays to see if I can find anything further out..

I know that people living at Geoffrey Bay don't share my point of view regarding the benefits of beach erosion.. And I do feel bad getting excited about their misfortune, including the prospect of future high tides reaching their door steps.. This last one levelled out about 20 metres away..       

3 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Good luck on the minus low tide !

The low tide finds: an ugly looking ring and a no-brand wonder.. Weirdly, there was also a little patch of seven Ozzy 1 cents.. And a 'ram's head' shilling amongst the washed out tree roots at Geoffrey Bay.. I was hoping for a few older coins but I've only hunted around the Silver Mine tree roots.. There's a whole stretch of this bay which has been hit even harder by the high tides.. I'll hunt Geoffrey Bay first at tomorrow morning's low tide (around 3:15 am), then I'll go back to another bay on this side of the island..      

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Nice finds and you will have to be patient until things are in better condition to hunt.

Good luck and stay safe.

Keep an eye open for claim jumpers for me. Don't worry about Simon, he will only last a few minute in QLD temperatures as he has just about turned into a Kiwi in his cold south island.

Look after the bay and remove all the easy good targets as that will stop those claim jumpers from knowing how good the silver mine is. In case you are watching Simon I will not tell you that your Coin Utopia has less finds, but you may have to return to it to catch up. 😜