Manticore Beach Hunters - Need Some Help

I need some of the beach hunters that have a black sand mix in their sand, to try something for me if they can. I'm having a problem with the ground noise on the Manticore in the beach modes. I run the screen wide open so that all targets are heard, but the ground noise is more common than the actual iron. It was suggested that I need ground balancing. I usually run tracking ground balance, but I have done it manually also. I prefer tracking. So my problem is that when manual balancing, the ground balance always goes to 0. It never moves when I pump it or if I manually raise it (or decrease it) I don't notice a difference. Then I bob it up and down and it returns to 0. On nice sand I would imagine 0 is fine, but on this black sand mix, it has never read 0 before, but now it does. Can some of you try the beach modes and see if you actually get a negative (or positive) number when you manually balance your machines?  I've included a picture of the sand that I have here. The machine responding to the ground noise directly contradicts the 0 reading I am getting.  Thanks.

20230209_111834.jpg

Where I hunt the ground/sand is constantly changing and you can tell when the GB is off. I get ground balance number anywhere from low teens to low 40's when I manually ground balance. I use mainly beach deep and beach low conductor.

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

So my problem is that when manual balancing, the ground balance always goes to 0. It never moves when I pump it or if I manually raise it (or decrease it) I don't notice a difference. Then I bob it up and down and it returns to 0.

The Manticore I had here is gone now. However, your black sand pic looks like nothing to me [sorry]  Mine is double/triple. 

We put the Manticore in tracking and never looked back. It ran clean and had good depth. 

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I run the screen wide open so that all targets are heard, but the ground noise is more common than the actual iron.

We both know what works on the Nox. 😉 The Manticore seems to work different.
While I did not release all the discrimination from a search mode, we did extensive tests with horseshoe on/off. 

This unfortunately is the point where I have to say the Horseshoe mode made NO difference in target enhancement. 

I would concentrate all efforts on running in discrimination. 

Something's not right there. I've never had a constant zero when manually ground balancing.

I don't have black sand, but GB changes a number or two all the time when I re-check it any where from single digits to 20's depending on how wet it is.

school, I saw you ask about resetting in your Beach Hunt thread.  Here's p 60 of the manual:

Screenshotat2023-03-03111203.thumb.png.c949b9ee7cae6e72bb83614844abd017.png

When I stated I manually ground balance, I guess according to the manual I actually "auto" ground balance because I hold the key down while bobbing and let the machine pick the correct #. 

I've never manual ground balanced by just hitting the soft key and listening to the tone and adjusting it myself up or down.

Semantics.....

1 hour ago, Yatahaze323 said:

TampaBayBrad, You can get constant zero ground balance at the beach if you ground balance on some dry sand.  I've had it happen at one of my beaches, I have to ground balance on the wet sand to get a GB reading at the beach.

Interesting. I've never tried GB in dry sand because NASA Tom says always manually set you're GB to 0 if hunting dry sand, so that's what I've done. I'll give it a go next time out and see what my dry does to auto bobbing #.

School says in his black sand mix, his machine has never read 0 so that's why I think there may be a problem with the way it's acting going straight to 0.

I have one beach here that is multi layered dry black sand at the top of the beach . Sand mining was proposed in this area but knocked back by the enviro's a while back . I just do an auto balance then engage tracking . I have no idea what numbers the machine decides on !

Deep coins 10" plus mostly register as iron , no T Trace , but the signal is a very precise one which sometimes if I can get the target perfectly centered in the coil will give an occasional high tone squeak . More important to me is a very abrupt iron grunt that has what I can only describe as having a sort of "pop " to it .  When digging these targets it's common to dig through 4-5 layers of very black sand spaced by wider layers of yellow sand .