Garrett Axiom; Retired And New To Detecting

Welcome to the forum. I think it is hard to find a better retirement activity than metal detecting. Lots of walking and lots of getting up and down, something we need to keep doing as we age. It gets a person out of the house for sure. It can be a great activity for loners, and also for social types via clubs and group outings.

I think starting with a PI is not a bad idea as it focuses a person less on the whiz bang technology in new detector, and more about just getting and digging targets. How well you do is more about finding the right locations and then get with the program recovering targets. You don't have to overthink PI detecting. :smile:

So yes, good luck with your new hobby!

• Like 8

I'm glad you have joined club because your best bet to find gold is to meet people that can teach you how to find gold. Good luck and we hope to see some photos of your adventures.

strick

• Like 2

Welcome aboard John ,your quest is off to a good start !

That Axiom has caught my eye too ! 

You have already hit a big nugget of detecting knowledge , here and that new club membership .  Hope the quest proceeds with great results .

Ask all the questions you have as they come up.

• Like 1

Welcome John. I think you made a good choice with the Axiom. I have it and the GPZ.... The weight difference will help you stay with this hobby as you learn how to find gold.

Enjoy every outing. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum John.  I also have the Garrett Axiom.  It is my first pulse induction detector and I have found it easy to learn and operate.  Watch the tutorials by Steve H shown at the top of this forum.  They cover all the details of getting the most out of the Axiom.  If you ever get down Tucson way message me.  There are some good GPAA claims in southern AZ for detecting.  You need to be a GPAA member to go.  There are also some GPAA claims in the Wickenburg area and Mojave county.  Good luck.  Az_Ed

Joined a local prospecting club to find those who do detecting and have found that everyone I have met are not using detectors, but weekend digs. I told them what I bought and was where my interests were. When to new members event and was told that they are mostly weekend warriors and don’t really get into detectors. Mainly weekend digs. Was invited to a dig yesterday to see what they are all about. Pretty much a backhoe trenching and sitting on 5 gallon buckets sifting dirt. Friday through Sunday sitting in the sun and drinking beer. Don’t get me wrong, but no interest to me using a detector. 
Also the dig is mainly old tailing areas and what they mostly find is what they call “Flyshit” gold. Most of them found nothing. 
one found a small nugget with a detector and nothing from the dig. Tried out the Axiom and agree it’s easy to used with what has been discussed here in setup and a 13 DD FC coil. 
had many hits and only found some scraps of metal and a 22 shell casing. Going to go on my own quest and I’m sure will be better off. 
Like I said in my original post. Not doing this to strike it rich. Mainly exercise and the scenery. The Axiom will give me an edge I’m sure. Thank you guys for the encouragement. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Just a quick note. Going to be down for a few months and won’t have much to continuing my quest and learning to prospect and the Axiom input we all enjoy. Will continue to follow everything while I’m down. No biggie. Not as bad as it sounds. Told you. 75 retired but still going to prospect. 
Great luck to all of you prospecting. 

Hello John, I'm pushing 70. I can't imagine how I would be if I did't get out. At first it is tough on the joints. When I am done I just about crawl to the car. It does get better, as I am out again the next day or so. Nothing else I would rather be doing. Good Luck my friend!

• Like 5

You guys are all spring chickens. I'll be 83 the end of this month and continue to old coin and jewelry hunt everyday for 4 hours or so. Not as difficult as walking hillside and washes, but currently hunting a golf course closed for renovations and log four hours of slow steps and up and down bends each outing. 

Anyway, John, good luck with whatever has you down and your prospecting endeavors when back up and about. HH Jim Tn

• Like 9