A New California Gold Rush

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Suction dredging?

It's still legal Steve - just as soon as permits are available you can start dredging. :blink:

It was never outlawed just put away in a bureaucratic jungle. Any more than that is straying into forbidden territory on this forum.

Thanks for providing a place where we are free from politics and religion. It's always about the hunt here. I'm good with that. :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Clay Diggins said:

It's still legal Steve - just as soon as permits are available you can start dredging. :blink:

It was never outlawed just put away in a bureaucratic jungle. Any more than that is straying into forbidden territory on this forum.

Thanks for providing a place where we are free from politics and religion. It's always about the hunt here. I'm good with that. :biggrin:

Our lessee just had 2 approved permits on our claims in northern Cal including state approved water license. No digging or washplant within 300 ft of creek & you are good to go. 

Since on the subject of gold panning in California,  its my understanding that gold panning in California state parks is legal so long as only "hands and pans" only.  To imply no hand tools of any kind allowed in the process.  Can anyone confirm if this is so?  

Just a simple question,  nothing political here.

Yep thats the policy in my area.  Now if you are deep in the Auburn Rec area away from the public eye, I bet you may spot a sluice and shovel or two.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:22 AM, TampaBayBrad said:

This guy doesn't have a problem panning for gold in California recently....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAJ21YttwQ

Is it illegal to pan out there?

6 hours ago, Hard Prospector said:

Since on the subject of gold panning in California,  its my understanding that gold panning in California state parks is legal so long as only "hands and pans" only.  To imply no hand tools of any kind allowed in the process.  Can anyone confirm if this is so?  

Just a simple question,  nothing political here.

I guess that means the guy in the video was illegal because he was using a shovel if it is in fact "hands and pans only".

5 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I guess that means the guy in the video was illegal because he was using a shovel if it is in fact "hands and pans only".

He was in a state park??

The hands and pans thing in the Auburn State Rec area is a bit of a joke.

The Auburn State Rec area is not a State Park or even State land. Almost all the land involved is either private or Federal public lands. The State has less than 40 acres there as I recall.

The Auburn State Rec area is a management contract between the Federal government and the State Parks department. The reason the hands and pans thing is funny is because that management contract specifically states that the State has no control or management duties for the minerals found in the public lands within the Rec area.

Sometimes it's all about perception and voluntary compliance - not law or a duty to control. The Auburn Rec area minerals are still, for the most part, open to prospecting. There are a few areas that have been withdrawn from mineral entry and the private lands are off limits but the "hands and pans" regs are not really legally enforceable. Of course neither is the Adventure Pass but people still keep paying to park on public lands.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

He was in a state park??

Oh....I didn't catch the part about state parks. I don't know if he was or not. If I ever make it to California, now I'd be scared to try panning for fear I'm not in a legal spot or using legal means to recover the gold.

3 minutes ago, Clay Diggins said:

The hands and pans thing in the Auburn State Rec area is a bit of a joke.

The Auburn State Rec area is not a State Park or even State land. Almost all the land involved is either private or Federal public lands. The State has less than 40 acres there as I recall.

The Auburn State Rec area is a management contract between the Federal government and the State Parks department. The reason the hands and pans thing is funny is because that management contract specifically states that the State has no control or management duties for the minerals found in the public lands within the Rec area.

Sometimes it's all about perception and voluntary compliance - not law or a duty to control. The Auburn Rec area minerals are still, for the most part, open to prospecting. There are a few areas that have been withdrawn from mineral entry and the private lands are off limits but the "hands and pans" regs are not really legally enforceable. Of course neither is the Adventure Pass but people still keep paying to park on public lands.

Thanks Clay for some clarity...