First Prototype Axiom Cover- What Do You Think?

On 5/21/2023 at 8:59 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Surprised it’s so popular.  For me, I avoid Camo on my detector gear because I want to be able to find it again if I intentionally or unintentionally leave it behind in the field (like if I have to go back to my vehicle to fetch something).  I guess some folks find it useful for keeping a low profile, or something?  

Might I suggest you paint the handle of your pick fluorescent orange?  Then you just sit you pick handle up by your detector and you can spot that a mile away.  Personally my detector never leaves my sight.  Hell what difference does it make anyway? I'm 74, I have a big White Pickup truck and half the time I can't even remember where I left that when I'm out in the desert.

Crap I can't find it when I parked it 10 minutes ago in the COSTCO parking lot.  Most times I have to push the PANIC alarm on my key FOB so the alarm will go off so I know which way to walk. 😀

Doc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rick Ray said:

I like the design. How much does it cost?

I won't know until I get the final shipping and the Customs import duty.  Sometimes Customs charges me 50% sometimes they charge me 10%.  I never know until I can get the final bill and tally up everything.  Then I have to add in the prototype design and modification charges, etc. etc,  It is not an inexpensive proposition to design and manufacture these covers.

Doc

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Might I suggest you paint the handle of your pick fluorescent orange?

:biggrin: Frankly, if you made the cover blaze orange that would almost be functionally more useful to me than camo as my relic detecting activities sometimes overlap with local hunting seasons and I have to take precautions.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Hell what difference does it make anyway?

Agreed.  Not a hell of a lot of difference.  Just a personal preference as I am just a drab solids guy.  I don't try to make some kind of style statement with my gear, so  I avoid camo because it serves no useful functional purpose while detecting and can give some property owners the wrong impression that I'm into stealth detecting or nighthawking.  I'm will don blaze orange if needed for safety.   

I'm not a prospector, but I do relic detect often in wooded areas and sometimes hunker down and dig pits where CW encampments existed.  This is often a drawn out process and sometimes requires that I trek back forth to my vehicle for one thing or another.  So I leave the detector where it is if I plan on returning rather than lugging it back and forth.  Camo doesn't help in that regard, but I can easily deal with it, if needed, as you so thoughtfully pointed out.

For what its worth, I've purchased a number of Docs GPX accessories over the years including two Screamer modules, and various swing assist products for relic detecting not prospecting.  Love them functionally  and also loved their understated looks.

Glad the digital camo has juiced sales for you, Doc.  Just not my cup of tea.  I understand you have to pick one design and go with it in this situation.  Therefore, there's no way you can please all the people all the time.  So I'll probably be missing out on the fun this time around.  My loss.

Happy Hunting and good luck on the new product launches. 👍 

49 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

:biggrin: Frankly, if you made the cover blaze orange that would almost be functionally more useful to me than camo as my relic detecting activities sometimes overlap with local hunting seasons and I have to take precautions.

Agreed.  Not a hell of a lot of difference.  Just a personal preference as I am just a drab solids guy.  I don't try to make some kind of style statement with my gear, so  I avoid camo because it serves no useful functional purpose while detecting and can give some property owners the wrong impression that I'm into stealth detecting or nighthawking.  I'm will don blaze orange if needed for safety.   

I'm not a prospector, but I do relic detect often in wooded areas and sometimes hunker down and dig pits where CW encampments existed.  This is often a drawn out process and sometimes requires that I trek back forth to my vehicle for one thing or another.  So I leave the detector where it is if I plan on returning rather than lugging it back and forth.  Camo doesn't help in that regard, but I can easily deal with it, if needed, as you so thoughtfully pointed out.

For what its worth, I've purchased a number of Docs GPX accessories over the years including two Screamer modules, and various swing assist products for relic detecting not prospecting.  Love them functionally  and also loved their understated looks.

Glad the digital camo has juiced sales for you, Doc.  Just not my cup of tea.  I understand you have to pick one design and go with it in this situation.  Therefore, there's no way you can please all the people all the time.  So I'll probably be missing out on the fun this time around.  My loss.

Here's a way to get the cover and make it your color.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jacquard-Textile-Color-2-25-oz-Orange-Fabric-Dye/39107912?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101193387&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=39107912_10001212748&wl14=blaze orange fabric dye&veh=sem&gclid=986cf590236d19de022091161a31f5bf&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=986cf590236d19de022091161a31f5bf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 1:30 PM, Chase Goldman said:

I'm not a big fan of traditional CAMO, but the digital CAMO I think is understated..  I selected it because in the gold bearing desert areas in the U.S. as well as the Outback you have some green vegetation, a lot of browns, beige and rusty color soil.  It has been very popular in the Gold Monster cover.  We have it in the drab solid green and the Digital camo and the Cam outsells the drab green about 20 to 1.

We can't do just one offs because our production runs are usually 1200 to 1500 of one style of cover.

Chase I might have missed this but what detector are you using?

Doc

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm not a big fan of traditional CAMO, but the digital CAMO I think is understated..  I selected it because in the gold bearing desert areas in the U.S. as well as the Outback you have some green vegetation, a lot of browns, beige and rusty color soil.  It has been very popular in the Gold Monster cover.  We have it in the drab solid green and the Digital camo and the Cam outsells the drab green about 20 to 1.

We can't do just one offs because our production runs are usually 1200 to 1500 of one style of cover.

Chase I might have missed this but what detector are you using?

Doc

Doc - I totally get that you can’t do one offs and I understand how the Digital Camo can work in the desert. I probably just need to see it first hand rather than deciding purely based on the prototype pic.  Really like the design of the control head cover and shade and the base pad. I have the Axiom and it took a cosmetic beating in some rough terrain and red clay mud and in the back of the truck bed with my other buddies’ gear, so the cover set makes sense to me functionally to protect my investment. There’s always fabric paint as an after sale option too.  Like I said, it’s not about style, I just generally avoid camo for practical reasons and stick to drab solids (gray, coyote, green, or black) or blaze orange outerwear if needed for safety.

Will be looking for the release announcement once you get inventory and will decide.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Doc - I totally get that you can’t do one offs and I understand how the Digital Camo can work in the desert. I probably just need to see it first hand rather than deciding purely based on the prototype pic.  Really like the design of the control head cover and shade and the base pad. I have the Axiom and it took a cosmetic beating in some rough terrain and red clay mud and in the back of the truck bed with my other buddies’ gear, so the cover set makes sense to me functionally to protect my investment. There’s always fabric paint as an after sale option too.  Like I said, it’s not about style, I just generally avoid camo for practical reasons and stick to drab solids (gray, coyote, green, or black) or blaze orange outerwear if needed for safety.

Will be looking for the release announcement once you get inventory and will decide.

Thanks

Let me caution against black on a metal detector.  It's an absolute no no.  Black absorbs heat and can cause a screen blackout, so try to stay away from black.

Doc