Minelab GPX At The Beach? Depth Differences Between Models?

Hi all. I have in the past used a SD2200d at the beach and now run a GP 3000. It gives great depth and very basic discrimination, and I am easily able to get coins at about 16-17" with a Detech 15x12 DD SEF coil, using discrim on half-way and salt mode. 

Just wondering if there would be much of a depth or sensitivity difference if I was to upgrade to a 4500 or 5000? Has anyone here used either of them at the beach before? I have the opportunity to get a 4500 pretty cheap but for the cost, would I be best to get an old 5000 instead?  Would it even go much deeper than my 3000? Would be keen to hear reviews from anyone that's tried. 

• Like 3

My guess is you won’t see much depth gain with the GPX series. I have tried a 4500 on the beach some years ago but I now run a 3500 and much prefer it. It just feels more settled and depth is at least on par with the 4500. I run my 3500 in the Salt mode and Deep audio…..using the Detech 18” open DD. 
I don’t feel disadvantaged not using a mono…..even with a very slow coil swing and at right angles to the water mono coils still groaned at me quite a bit. The DD is deeper as I can hear faint breaks in the threshold, minimal EMI problems which makes for less fatiguing detecting. The surface to 3” iron discrimination takes care of the pure iron targets such as fish hooks and sometimes the hairpins.

The 18” DD has about the same detecting depth as my 14” mono but without all the problems of a mono coil.

Just as a side note……I discounted the Salt timing for a long time thinking it was a downgrade from the Normal timing……I was wrong about that.

• Like 6

On 7/16/2023 at 5:58 PM, Tony said:

My guess is you won’t see much depth gain with the GPX series. I have tried a 4500 on the beach some years ago but I now run a 3500 and much prefer it. It just feels more settled and depth is at least on par with the 4500. I run my 3500 in the Salt mode and Deep audio…..using the Detech 18” open DD. 
I don’t feel disadvantaged not using a mono…..even with a very slow coil swing and at right angles to the water it still groaned at me quite a bit. The DD is deeper as I can hear faint breaks in the threshold, minimal EMI problems which makes for less fatiguing detecting. The surface to 3” iron discrimination takes care of the pure iron targets such as fish hooks and sometimes the hairpins.

The 18” DD has about the same detecting depth as my 14” mono but without all the problems of a mono coil.

Just as a side note……I discounted the Salt timing for a long time thinking it was a downgrade from the Normal timing……I was wrong about that.

Thank you! That's very helpful, I think I will just stick with the 3000 for now then. 

On 7/16/2023 at 2:25 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks Steve, I'll have a read-up. 

I'm curious what sort of depth you get with the 18..? With the 15x12 I've picked up small (3-4gram) and large (10 gram) gold rings at about 16-18" max. I have tried a 14, 11, 24x12, and 10x5 but I think 15x12 seems to be the 'perfect size' for me 🙂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TTT2866 said:Thanks Steve, I'll have a read-up. 

I'm curious what sort of depth you get with the 18..? With the 15x12 I've picked up small (3-4gram) and large (10 gram) gold rings at about 16-18" max. I have tried a 14, 11, 24x12, and 10x5 but I think 15x12 seems to be the 'perfect size' for me 🙂

I was just linking to posts by another forum member. I agree though that the 15x12 is a very good size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TTT2866 said:

Thank you! That's very helpful, I think I will just stick with the 3000 for now then. 

Thanks Steve, I'll have a read-up. 

Most of those coils will do you well. I finally settled on the Detech 18” open DD because it performs very well, has great coverage, is waterproof and the open style (unlike the flat closed coils) coils don’t suction stick to the wet sand nor gather too much excess sand on top of the coil. I also use the silicone moulded end covers on the control box which makes the detector very weather proof from sand and salt spray. Average sized gold wedding bands can be reached to around the 18” mark which is good enough for me.

• Like 2

This is my setup……lightweight and very weather proof. I’ll use a bungee if the detecting sessions are long. I’ve got a light 6v Lithium battery in the backpack.

I added an external control to the On/Off/Threshold switch to keep it well sealed….it’s just an off the shelf plug from the gardening section at the local hardware store but fits over the control knob perfectly. All other controls are set and forget 👍

I have mentioned previously that with the Extreme, 3000 and 3500, battery power is regulated internally so don’t use an external regulator. My testing shows a stock 6v battery performs better on these detectors. The 2200 and earlier models certainly benefited from an external regulator.

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/18/2023 at 3:20 PM, Tony said:

This is my setup……lightweight and very weather proof. I’ll use a bungee if the detecting sessions are long. I’ve got a light 6v Lithium battery in the backpack.

I added an external control to the On/Off/Threshold switch to keep it well sealed….it’s just an off the shelf plug from the gardening section at the local hardware store but fits over the control knob perfectly. All other controls are set and forget 👍

I have mentioned previously that with the Extreme, 3000 and 3500, battery power is regulated internally so don’t use an external regulator. My testing shows a stock 6v battery performs better on these detectors. The 2200 and earlier models certainly benefited from an external regulator.

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

Great looking setup! I'll have to get some photos of mine eventually. 

The setup I have is all built in to the backpack. The battery I made from 2x6v lithium batteries in parallel with a few ports. 1 port for charging, 1 for the power lead, and 1 for an external on/off switch which hangs down the front strap on the backpack, so I can turn it on and off without having to open up the junction box and flick the switch. I've also made a spare plug to short out the power switch in case it ever seizes (which it has already 😞 ) . 

The control box is inside a junction box in the backpack with an amplifier. Coil has an extension lead which goes up the shaft in to the backpack. This lets me detect in the water and not have the fear of dropping it. Also keeps it rainproof, clean and lightweight. 

First time trying this in the saltwater at a highly mineralised spot I scored a 19gm diamond 18ct ring at 10"  😄 

• Like 3

Steve's post(Beach hunting with a GP3500) many years ago got me started on this style of beach detecting. It works so well and fortunately we have very little to no old iron targets at depth. I generally only dig the deep soft signals because on our deep sandy beaches the gold goes deep fast......I'll let the VLF "surface feeders" clean the first 8". Out of all the hundreds of gold rings that I've found, I can only recall several that were shallow < 8".

................now I'd better go and throw some fertiliser on that grass 😐