Should I Sell My GPX 5000 To Get An Axiom?

It’s honestly a bit of a trick question and answer. I personally do think ergonomics matter, and for my uses if offered both a GPX 5000 and Axiom for general use I’m going to grab the Axiom in most cases. I like the lighter weight with integrated battery, built in speaker, and extra water resistance. No harness and bungee for me. In general the Axiom also has an edge on the smaller gold. The only way I would personally grab the 5000 instead would be for very large nuggets at depth, and even with the 5000 that requires an optional larger coil to get the extra benefit.

Add it all up and a person with a 5000 may or may not want to switch. A person with neither looking at their first PI, well, I’m advocating for Axiom for multiple reasons. Not just the ergonomics as already mentioned, but the ease of learning how to run the beasts. The 5000 is pretty overwhelming for a new user, whereas Axiom is as simple as you can ask for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s honestly a bit of a trick question and answer. I personally do think ergonomics matter, and for my uses if offered both a GPX 5000 and Axiom for general use I’m going to grab the Axiom in most cases. I like the lighter weight with integrated battery, built in speaker, and extra water resistance. No harness and bungee for me. In general the Axiom also has an edge on the smaller gold. The only way I would personally grab the 5000 instead would be for very large nuggets at depth, and even with the 5000 that requires an optional larger coil to get the extra benefit.

Add it all up and a person with a 5000 may or may not want to switch. A person with neither looking at their first PI, well, I’m advocating for Axiom for multiple reasons. Not just the ergonomics as already mentioned, but the ease of learning how to run the beasts. The 5000 is pretty overwhelming for a new user, whereas Axiom is as simple as you can ask for.

Totally agree Steve! Although I don't have an Axiom, I have had one in my hands a few times. After using a bunch of GP and GPX models in the past, at this point in my life I don't think I'll ever go back to one. Ergonomics are the key here, internal battery, wireless headphones, etc. And although there are accessories you can buy that can make the GPX more ergonomic, the Axiom is just so much more enjoyable to use. Once after market coils come available for the Axiom, any gap in performance between the 5000 and Axiom would probably close right up on all target sizes. If I didn't already own a GPX 6000 I would jump on an Axiom in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

The GPX 4500/5000 from my experience have quite large detection holes, or targets they're weak on even though the size of the nuggets should be well within their reach, I have a number of nuggets sizes that the GPX 4500 and 5000 should love yet they struggle to hit on them, and in some cases miss them entirely.  

I'm not sure about the Axiom but this is the biggest problem I find with the GPX 4500/5000, switching timings can help in some cases but not all and you're not exactly going to run over areas in all different timings to ensure you got it all, well you could but it's easier just to use another detector without this issue.  

Later detectors like the GPZ and GPX 6000 hit these same "difficult" nuggets fine, so technology has evolved.  

• Like 4

On 8/2/2023 at 1:58 PM, phrunt said:

The GPX 4500/5000 from my experience have quite large detection holes, or targets they're weak on even though the size of the nuggets should be well within their reach, I have a number of nuggets sizes that the GPX 4500 and 5000 should love yet they struggle to hit on them, and in some cases miss them entirely.  

I'm not sure about the Axiom but this is the biggest problem I find with the GPX 4500/5000, switching timings can help in some cases but not all and you're not exactly going to run over areas in all different timings to ensure you got it all, well you could but it's easier just to use another detector without this issue.  

Later detectors like the GPZ and GPX 6000 hit these same "difficult" nuggets fine, so technology has evolved.  

That sums up the issue with the 5000 and earlier in a nutshell. Each timing has good spots and bad spots. They all miss something, so you need to hunt multiple modes in any given area to get the same coverage that you’d have with the 6000, 7000, or Axiom. On the plus side those modes can handle weird ground and rocks like nothing else. They might miss some gold, but if the area is undetectable with anything else it’s not what you miss, but what you get.

From https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/minelab-gpx-4000-4500-5000-manuals-timing-charts/

minelab-timing-emi-coil-matrix-large.jpg

• Like 6