A Quick Trip To Rye Patch

Condor

The weather cooled after the last batch of thunderstorms, so I thought I might make a quick trip to RP to see how much erosion took place.  I got out there late Tue and set off to explore in my Polaris RZR.  I spotted some freshly exposed bedrock and gave it a go with the GPX 6000 and the 14x9 Coiltek coil.  Nothing in the bedrock, but pulled a tiny .2 piece from fluff gravels at the end of a small gully.  Further up the gully I hit a 1+ gram piece, again in the fluff gravels, not on bedrock.

I worked my way back to the RZR and found she wouldn't start.  Cranking just fine, no fire.  I was already dreading a 3 mile walk back to the truck when she kicked over and came to life.  Not wanting to take chances for a long walk in the dark I drove back to my truck.  She wouldn't start again, so I loaded it on the trailer using the winch.  Next morning I aired down the tires on my big ole diesel GMC 4x4 and stuck to the trails.  I hit some more bedrock and pulled another 1+ gram piece out of the bedrock.  Clear sky to the west, but one lonely storm cloud found me and dumped rain for about half hour.  I detected for another couple hours for nothing but ferrous trash.  I really did not want to beat my truck up on those washed out roads so I gave up and came home.  

For those planning a trip out there this fall, the roads are passable.  The main Rye Patch road will need some work on a culvert that washed over the road, passable but just barely.  The lake is full and muddy.  Cows with yearlings everywhere on both sides of the road.  Take it slow, those yearlings will dart right out in front of you.  I didn't make it to the Burn Barrel, so I'm not sure how that road looks.  I took the 2nd left turn and it was OK all the way to Dan's claims.  1 big washout you have to straddle 1/4 mile from the turnoff.  Still another couple weeks before the weather gets cool enough for my liking.

2 hours ago, LuckyLundy said:

Steve,

Change Fuel Pump!  Easy change, buy cheap one off Amazon (get extra 😂) OEM replacement will take your Wine money!

Rick

I was thinking the same thing since your rig had the same symptoms, but my son bought the online manuals to decipher the engine codes.  According to the codes, it's idle air controller or some such thing.  Apparently, these rigs are prone to wiring harness problems and they ground out the controller.  Tight spaces to work in, I'm sure I'll come out with a split knuckle or two.

Had me a "Polarized" Ranger XP sxs. It developed some intermittent electrical problem. Upset me 1st because I bought a Polaris because they are supposed to be built for Military Reliability standard.

2nd because this ol crow don't do flat tires or Breakdowns 🙄.

Therefore next up for a SxS will be a new Honda fer sure !

I'll give one of them a chance to perform flawlessly for me before any other venture in ATV/UTV manufacturers.👍🎯🧐

Never want to get stuck way back in the boonies with a flat again? Kenda Bear Claw HTR's. Sidewall is so beefy I can run all 4 tires 100% flat and they still stand up tall and the bead stays on, long as I don't drive crazy anyways. It's an Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail, but I think about the same weight as the RZR 900's and Rangers. I don't even bother with taking a spare anymore, spare area holds 3 detectors and a pick now. 

Did the same with my ATV too after that. Right now I have zero air in my right rear and I've gone on 3 or 4 trips and forgotten to air it up and didn't realize until I got back home, then promptly forgot again next trip. 😁

Rye patch is much too mundane for a man of your talents. I think you should catch a nearby Sub Uru and head West where things are a bit more challenging.

My very first job was assembling new Polaris snowmobiles, so I have a bit of brand loyalty to Polaris products. But everybody I know that bought a ranger or a razor has had recalls and problems. I bought a 1000 Honda SxS. So far (3+ years) I haven't  had a hiccup or a f@rt with it.

I don't know if they have the equivalent in ATV tires (maybe if I read Jasong's post correctly) but I have

run-flat tires on my 4x4 and have had a few occasions where I've gotten nails/bolts/ etc. punctures and 

finished my trip at 75mph on the freeway with absolutely no indication of a problem. This is my third

set of them and I wouldn't have anything else. They are great off-road as well…the sidewalls are strong

and they give me confidence that even with a puncture out in the boonies, I'm good to go.

14 hours ago, klunker said:

Rye patch is much too mundane for a man of your talents. I think you should catch a nearby Sub Uru and head West where things are a bit more challenging.

My very first job was assembling new Polaris snowmobiles, so I have a bit of brand loyalty to Polaris products. But everybody I know that bought a ranger or a razor has had recalls and problems. I bought a 1000 Honda SxS. So far (3+ years) I haven't  had a hiccup or a f@rt with it.

Looking forward to the challenges of that west country.  Hopefully, you've left some square nails for me to practice on.  

Those Hondas are some sweet machines.  Probably cost more than my first house.