Chinese Coin?

Found this at an 1870s silver mining camp last weekend.  I believe it's a Chinese coin.  But can't say for sure.  Too weathered to make out the markings if any remain.  It's 24mm and weighs 2.41 grams. 

Coin?

thumbnail_IMG_1177.jpg.58c6db42769c5365b24f33f4620402d8.jpg

Thoughts

- Dave

That would be the most logical assumption.However there are many tokens out there that are very similar in their design.

I wish I could see a better picture of just the coin at a higher resolution. That way we might be able to see something to make a positive ID on it.

Nice find no matter what it is.

I could try taking a much better photo and doing some processing to try and bring out details.  Something like Dstretch might actually bring something out.

- Dave

deathray is right :  What is often called "Chinese cash coin".   They came over with the Chinese coolies by the barrel full during the Gold Rush, and RR building days.   Heck, they even came over before all that, during west coast colonial times since they were simply foreign coins that passing ships had.  We've found them in CA coastal mission-era sites where there was no more human influence after 1840 -ish.

I agree with everyone else, I'm pretty sure I can make out some Chinese characters on all four sides of the square hole. A little toothpicking and maybe a stiff toothbrush might bring those out more, but it looks very similar to Chinese cash coins that I've found on relic sites.