Thoughts On The 13x11 Coil?

MFF18B

Those of you that have one, whats your thoughts now that they have been out for a bit.  I currently have the 9 and the 11 inch coil that I use on Steve's shaft, but am trying to determine if should go for the bigger coil or if the 11 inch is similar enough to stop me from spending the extra money.  I don't know anyone that has one to try, so I thought I would check with those of you that have used it extensively.

Appreciate it. 

I just have the 9" and 13X11" so I can't compare the 13X11" to just the 11".

I can say that the 13X11"at 668 grams (1.47 lbs) is much heavier than the 9" at 448 grams (0.99 lbs.) and it certainly feels heavier on the stock shaft.

Coverage is fantastic using the 13X11" and so is its ability to get through taller grass just by its sheer mass.

I haven't used the 13X11" at a beach yet.

The 13X11" that I have been using has been finding deep US silver dimes and deep wheat pennies that were missed by me with the 9". No doubt about it.  Whether the 11" would have missed those compared to the 13X11"......no idea.

Separation is still excellent using the 13X11".

The onboard pinpointer function is not as accurate when using the 13X11" compared to the 9"

I am using version 2.0 software.

The 13X11" has been a good purchase for me so far.

I have the 9", 11", and 13x11". I bought the 11" because the 13x11 was not out. A week later one became available and I bought it. I'm glad I did.

I have not taken the 13x11" coil off my Deus 2 since I got it for the most part. Now that the WS6 can have almost all the same settings as the D2 remote, the 9" resides permanently on my original XP shaft with the WS6, and the 13" on my SteveG CF shaft with the D2 remote. Most of the year I have the waveguides attached, but take them off when I'm going to be in the field.

I use the 13" everywhere, the beach and fields and campgrounds I hunt. I've used it in the water but prefer the 9" for that, and I have rigged up a waveguide to the WS6. If I plan on going submerged in water I'll use the 13".

I agree with Jeff that the pinpoint isn't all that great, but by X'ing with the coil I can pretty much nail the target, if off center it is either iron or aluminum. The 9" is faster for retrieval but the 13" goes a bit deeper and covers more ground quickly. Its ability to find even small targets is fine. About the only thing it isn't great in is field stubble, but neither is the 11".

I did some comparisons between all 3, and also weighed them against my Equinox 600 with a 10x5" coil. The SteveG rig with the 13" is just a bit lighter! The WS6 Master setup is insanely light. It only took a short time to get used to the 13", but I recommend a carbon fiber shaft to use it with. Get spare bolts, you will break them occasionally. I keep them in my finds bag. The coil's off center mount is not optimum for stability. I tried centering devices but broke more bolts. It will flop a bit, but I'm so used to it now it's no big deal.

I do not regret buying the 13x11 at all, and really don't regret buying the 11", but it's kinda a "case queen". I keep it charged and bring it on trips in case something goes wrong with one of the other 2.

I have all three coils. I still use the 11" the most. 11x13 is great at the beach or in open fields.  I find it hard to use at some parks because it's more suseptabe to EMI than the 11". Like others have said, pinpointing can be a challenge at times. When I've compared the 11 to 11x13 on buried targets, they both seem about equal. So IMO ground coverage with the 11x13 is the main advantage over the 11. If you beach hunt most of the time, I'd say get the 11x13. Otherwise it's probably money spent you could have saved for something else.

I also own the 3 coils. On very hot soil 11x13” fails because can’t detect the little and very low conductor target (I always use in tests on hot soil) in the bottom of a 9” hole while 11” and 9” passed the test with flying colors. In open fields (neither plowed nor mineralized) and on the beach/shore I’d use the 11x13” for its big coverage. 

After chatting with F350 and hearing his experience with it, I went and got one. Not disappointed. The coverage is excellent of course, I had some concern about the weight after mostly swinging the 9" coil for several years but it really hasn't been a problem. Mostly impressed with how well it still separates in iron, even at the lower Reactivity settings.

On 9/27/2023 at 4:17 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

I can say that the 13X11"at 668 grams (1.47 lbs) is much heavier than the 9" at 448 grams (0.99 lbs.) and it certainly feels heavier on the stock shaft.

Did you measure the weight with the lower shaft attached to the coil?

According to XP's website, the 9" has 345g, 11" 470g, 13" 570g

On 9/27/2023 at 3:50 PM, MFF18B said:

Those of you that have one, whats your thoughts now that they have been out for a bit.  I currently have the 9 and the 11 inch coil that I use on Steve's shaft, but am trying to determine if should go for the bigger coil or if the 11 inch is similar enough to stop me from spending the extra money.  I don't know anyone that has one to try, so I thought I would check with those of you that have used it extensively.

Appreciate it. 

It depends if weight is a concern or not for you . Clearly a 570g coil is a no go for me , I only use very light coils as I hate heavy coils . This is the reason why I just have the 9" coil , even the 11" is a little nose heavy for me ..  

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

even the 11" is a little nose heavy for me

Same for me - I think it would feel much better with a straight shaft and center-mounted coil.

7 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Did you measure the weight with the lower shaft attached to the coil?

According to XP's website, the 9" has 345g, 11" 470g, 13" 570g

Lower rod was attached.