How Many Pull-tabs?

Since day 1 , you know it has always been about the gold. Always has , always will. Remember earlier this year when we hunted that big storm for days on end ? You were kinda shocked when we pulled old silver , walkers by the handful up high on the blacksand. It was cool but not a big deal because the gold was down lower...

You had a great hunt ! You found gold ! Is the way I look at it. Regardless of all the tabs and trash. Was it epic ? No. But you still had a great time and scored. Always easy to look back on the whole woulda , coulda , shoulda thing. I don't really agree with you passing up certain signals because TIDS , sounds , tones can be offset by target positioning , depth , masking , etc. But it works for you and you are playing your #s game , I get it. That silver ring almost looks like 2 rings together. Again , great hunt Compass.

in the 70's the word I heard was you needed to expect to dig a thousand tabs to get gold,  so 1000/1 odds.

I believe that with the Equinox MOST small gold falls below the tab... but not all.   If you don't dig 'em you will miss gold.

Looks like you easily beat that.   It was worth it for sure on this day!  Congrats.👍

3 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Since day 1 , you know it has always been about the gold. Always has , always will. Remember earlier this year when we hunted that big storm for days on end ? You were kinda shocked when we pulled old silver , walkers by the handful up high on the blacksand. It was cool but not a big deal because the gold was down lower...

You had a great hunt ! You found gold ! Is the way I look at it. Regardless of all the tabs and trash. Was it epic ? No. But you still had a great time and scored. Always easy to look back on the whole woulda , coulda , shoulda thing. I don't really agree with you passing up certain signals because TIDS , sounds , tones can be offset by target positioning , depth , masking , etc. But it works for you and you are playing your #s game , I get it. That silver ring almost looks like 2 rings together. Again , great hunt Compass.

Thanks KOB, Missed you out there!

Here is a 14K gold that rings up a solid 14 on the Equinox 800. I was staying ahead of a fleet of bulldozers that were doing a beach renourishment about 5 years ago and was hunting a small strip of dry / wet sand that was soon to be covered with 5 feet of sand. The pile of junk gives you an idea of the trash to gold ring ratio. These are zip files so don't know if they will open.

47 minutes ago, okara gold said:

Here is a 14K gold that rings up a solid 14 on the Equinox 800. I was staying ahead of a fleet of bulldozers that were doing a beach renourishment about 5 years ago and was hunting a small strip of dry / wet sand that was soon to be covered with 5 feet of sand. The pile of junk gives you an idea of the trash to gold ring ratio. These are zip files so don't know if they will open.

Can't see the pictures but I'm sure that you dug up quite a bit of trash for that gold. I was doing some bench testing the other day and one of the nicest rings in my collection rings up as a "14" on my 800. However, it was found on the beach with one of my pulse detectors.

On 10/6/2023 at 4:02 PM, midalake said:

It is possible!!! The Equinox does a great job of isolating most Pulltabs to a number. My region it is 14. When I have pulltab conditions I skip 14's. Also if one was to look at many ring charts very few gold rings drop at 14 on the Equinox.  GREAT finds btw! 

This is what I have found to be true aswell.pull tab 14,the last 100 pieces of gold I dug, only 2 were 14.luckly were I dig 5 meters into the water,thete are not many pulltabs.

On 10/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, Dean Stone said:

There is one Detector that can tell the difference in some tabs, ( The beaver Tail tab ) from gold Is the MXT. when you hit a tab, push the toggle switch forward, and if it is a beaver tail, it will be static . Best detector ever made for rings.

Dean, if the MXT were brought to a big city blighted urban park, be honest :   How much gold rings do you think you would find, while leaving how much aluminum behind ?

I hear the various claims that certain machines are better at telling aluminum junk apart from gold rings .  Eg.: "Static" or "soft" or "mellow" and all sorts of sound/tone claims.  Yet when you invite the people out to the nearest inner city blighted junky park to show you, then :  Seems that all you hear is the sound of crickets.

mind you : I'm not disputing that there might not, in fact, be some "better mousetrap".  But it just seems that while claims are made, yet :  No one ever seems to be able to show anything other than :  Random eventual odds.  🫢

Nailed it Tom.

A detector that can distinguish gold rings from the various aluminum trash, would be by far, the ultimate game changer in this hobby. Like someone else said, "I would remortgage my house if I could get a detector that could do that". 

One can take a particular ring and a particular pull tab, wave it in front of the coil at a particular orientation, and a particular distance, and they'll probably notice a difference. Too bad finding stuff in the ground doesn't work like that. Pulltabs, foil, can slaw, aluminum caps, and gold jewelry, come in different sizes, shapes, types, depths, orientations, etc. All of which results in various tones and various ID's, that in no way can determine aluminum trash from almost all gold jewelry.

Distinguish gold rings from aluminum? That's an extraordinary claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If a detector could so such a thing, the evidence would be "front page news" on the various detecting Facebook pages and internet forums. Yet, there is no evidence at all, let alone extraordinary evidence. It's really a matter of wishful thinking, confirmation bias, random chance, and selective memory.