11x7 DD Axiom Coil

DSMITH

is it worth purchasing the 11x7 DD Axiom coil since I already have the 11x7 Mono coil

I do like the Iron Check on the Axiom which can only be accessed while running the 13x11 DD but I sure do not want to run that 13x11 coil all the time just to be able to access the Iron Check on the Axiom, so this is one of the reasons I am thinking about purchasing the 11x7 DD

are there other advantages of the 11x7 DD Axiom coil that I am over looking, I know DD coils handles EMI and mineralized ground better, but are there other things I should consider that the 11x7 DD can do better than the 11x7 Mono, just picking peoples minds trying to figure out what I want to do

will the 11x7 DD coil see deeper than the 11x7 Mono coil ??? these are question I keep going round and round in my mind so any insight would be great

Also thought about waiting for Detec to get off their Butts with after market coils for the Axiom but not sure I want to wait that long, and is there any word on the after market coils from Detec on after market coils

any recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks to all that read and reply

The iron detect is a nice feature although small and deep pieces may not trigger the iron audible signal.   Another plus has been at the beach where the iron detect feature has saved many unnecessary digs.   The solid coil cover makes maneuvering in the water challenging.  All said, the 11x7 DD is my most used coil on the Axiom to date.  (It was also the coil with which I found my first gold with the Axiom).  

1 hour ago, NoPainNoBling said:

The iron detect is a nice feature although small and deep pieces may not trigger the iron audible signal.   Another plus has been at the beach where the iron detect feature has saved many unnecessary digs.   The solid coil cover makes maneuvering in the water challenging.  All said, the 11x7 DD is my most used coil on the Axiom to date.  (It was also the coil with which I found my first gold with the Axiom).  

Thank you for the input, fortunately for me all my detecting is on dirt

appreciate it

I just bought the 11x7" DD and am using it in tailings (my claim has mineralized rock piles galore).  Finding its easier to pinpoint and easier to swing than the 13x11" DD.  Also easier to get under brush, hillsides, etc.

If I have an open area thats flat I'll use the 13x11" DD for depth, but I'm buying a Garrett Carrot with Z-link to pinpoint. I'm finding I'm digging deep holes with the 13X11" and coming up with bits of iron at 12"+. Finding it hard to pinpoint with the larger coil. Hoping the Carrot will help me get them out faster and move on. I know the DD has iron check, but you really need to do a 360 degree swing and get it to read iron on every swing. (I don't trust it if it just grunts intermittently)

I'm saving to 11X7" mono for bedrock areas where I can tilt it and get it into crevices to detect with the coil edge and the mono coil is not so much bothered by mineralization.

For me it is basically about the mineralization. I don't really use PI discrimination much when nugget detecting. The simple answer for me then is the DD coil handles intense ground that the mono will not handle - as in the DD coil will work and the mono will refuse to ground balance, making the detector not function at all. The mono however will get better depth under almost all circumstances where it can ground balance and is lighter so is my preferred coil. Though as a note the depth difference is if the machine is tuned identically for both coils. In my experience the DD coil can be pushed higher in settings as it is a quieter coil, which closes the gap. And for the tiniest bits I kind of like that the DD coil hits in the middle as opposed to around the edges for the mono. They are simply two different tools and I like having both. But for most people in most ground the mono is probably the way to go, with the DD only coming out if the mono is not doing what you want.

On 10/12/2023 at 8:24 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

For me it is basically about the mineralization. I don't really use PI discrimination much when nugget detecting. The simple answer for me then is the DD coil handles intense ground that the mono will not handle - as in the DD coil will work and the mono will refuse to ground balance, making the detector not function at all. The mono however will get better depth under almost all circumstances where it can ground balance and is lighter so is my preferred coil. Though as a note the depth difference is if the machine is tuned identically for both coils. In my experience the DD coil can be pushed higher in settings as it is a quieter coil, which closes the gap. And for the tiniest bits I kind of like that the DD coil hits in the middle as opposed to around the edges for the mono. They are simply two different tools and I like having both. But for most people in most ground the mono is probably the way to go, with the DD only coming out if the mono is not doing what you want.

I went ahead and ordered the 11x7 DD just to have just in case, I like having the options if I run into areas that call for a different coil, thought about ordering the 16x14 Mono but not sure I want to swing that big of a coil even though it would be nice in a couple areas I have in mind to hunt.

• 2 months later...

As Steve said The 11x7 DD is a gamechanger for magnetite/hot iron ground, dirt that will cause the mono coils to “overload”the machine. I live near the Rogue River in S.Oregon and there are places I can pan up a 1/2 cup of what looks like random sized jet black shotgun pellets in one pan of classified material and its all heavy magnetite pebbles. I remove them from the pan with a magnet. There is a red iron hill nearby that will not ground balance with my mono coil in large or salt mode on sensitivity 2 and Some areas of sand/gravel bars full of black sand/magnatite that will stop my Axiom cold with the mono coil except on large/salt mode, sensitivity 1 and my old goldmonster sounded like it was on an iron plate and was going to explode! I was amazed because the 11x7 DD will ground balance in normal mode at all of those places on sensitivity 3-4 and I pull .22 bullets, small lead (like tiny #8 bird shot), brass lure parts, small hooks and brass and steel swivels out of the ground I thought was impossible to detect. I have a couple spots where the mineralized ground & emi combo will also defeat me with the 11” mono due to powerlines, house and auto traffic and the dd is a noticable improvement there also.                                         
A side note- For the EMI problem, out of despiration I stumbled into Steves minumum threshold setting, the “Bogenes setting”. I find it to be a great tactic for high emi and terrible ground and I am actually loving silent hunting without an audible threshold and you can increase sensitivity!  Im using Normal mode, -7 threshold, sensitivity 4&5. I have only used this with the dd but am finding tiny lead shards and tiny rusty iron flakes 3-4” deep so I dont feel like im missing much without a threshold especially in an area I couldn’t detect before discovering this tactic.  

Also for what its worth the DD coil iron check feature, in most parts of MY AREA will call almost everything including some lead chunks “iron” even when its shallow, <1” or just laying on the surface of the wet soil, im talking .22 bullet sized lead which was an eye opener for me so I cannot trust it here at all. When its dry it works a bit better but is still a crapshoot so experiment alot before trusting it. I was excited about it for one old placer I found thats full of rusty flakes, nails and tacks but after testing it out I found it completely innaccurate in MY area.