Back To The Relic Park And Lightning Strikes Again!

CPT_GhostLight

A few day ago I decided to pop back over to the park where I have found old artifacts and my first silver Seated Liberty Quarter and a silver Mercury dime to see if I could eke out anything more. I was headed to the spot near the creek running the same Fast relic program when I heard some loud iron and non-ferrous tones mixed together. I've learned to check out anything that sounds different at this spot so I dug down about a foot and pulled out a old wooden plank with some rusted iron bands and lead sheeting on it. Is it from a stagecoach strong box or could it be part of the Templar treasure from Oak Island... I just don't know. 😏

V3-Park-1.jpg

Well old stuff is a good sign. I kept finding older hand forged iron things and knew I was getting close.

V3-Park-3.jpg

Unfortunately so was a rainstorm, so I had to cut the hunt short. The last thing I hit before packing it out was what looked like a small hub cap or metal bowl. It was filled with caked dirt and mud so into the trash pouch it went. When I got home and sorted everything out I dug the dirt out of the bowl which turned out to be brass and the was some kind of badge inside fixed to the bottom. After cleaning some more it turned out to be an older Yellowstone Park badge with a grizzly bear on it. I have no idea how old it is but Yellowstone was the first US National Park founded in 1872 so who knows.

V3-Park-5.jpg

I also found an old door latch with a skeleton key type keyhole, an old spike probably from the Tramway that used to run there in the 1800s, some bits of glass and pottery, and the two parts of an old fish-shaped doodad that were buried about three feet apart.

V3-Park-4.jpg

The Trash:

V3-Park-2.jpg

While it wasn't as good as the previous two hunts there, it was still cool stuff, but it was about to get better!

I went back the next day with high hopes thinking the ground would be moist and should be lighting up with some good targets. Well as I approached my "hot-spot" I could hear someone yelling and screaming at the top of his lungs. I peeked around the turn in the trail and there was some homeless guys about to throw down, so I figured I'd just hunt in the main park until the drama subsided and they left. Unfortunately, they never left, they fought and went quiet and fought some more! I hunted through the park grass and was finding modern stuff like clad coins, a broken flashlight, a modern brass Eye of Horus pendant, and a pretty cool black stainess steel cross and chain. I started working back toward the car and decided to check the small hill where I had found the 1800s Denver Tramway coat button. I wasn't getting much until I hit an old brass clock mounting back. Then some more older bits and then, BAM, lighting struck! Not literally, but I hit a strong 93 and again, thinking it was a modern clad quarter, I started to chuck it into the pouch, but stopped because it was caked with crud, and looked just like the Seated Quarter had looked before cleaning.

V4-Park-1.jpg

I couldn't make out anything on one side so I flipped it over and there was an old eagle, but a little different looking. 

V4-Park-1b.jpg

I grabbed my phone and did a quick search and found it to be a silver Barber Quarter and another first for me! I was super excited to get home and clean this one up. Unfortunately this one was pretty toasted. The back was in reasonably good shape but the front was melted from having been in a fire. I was able to get the first three numbers of the date which are 189 but I can't make out the last number. So it's an 1890s date.

V4-Park-4b.jpg

V4-Park-4a.jpg

Well it doesn't matter to me, it's another first, and a silver, and a Barber, so I'm darned happy again!

V4-Park-2.jpg

Trash:

V4-Park-3.jpg

Thanks for sharing CPT!

A nice assortment there, some with good age on them. I think your plank with lead sheathing & iron bands is from a very old casket. Probably someone who was important. You shouldn't dig so deep in the future,   even though they were probably buried with lots of jewelry and a bag of coins. It wouldn't be polite.

I think that place has more to give. If you can still squeak out 2 quarters that others missed, then maybe digging iffy targets may get you some other deep coins. Nice couple of hunts and congrats on another first.

Wow Cap'n,

It took me a long time to find my first Barber, I was always seeing them here and it drove me nuts. 🤪 They should be everywhere I hunt, and they're not, so congrats! Sad that the ground wasn't kind to it but still awesome. 👍

Looks like that park has potential for the persistent. 🙂 cool smattering o' stuff!

I think digging some of that iron probably helped find better targets, which is always a hazard for us.

As always your finds have that real "Western" feel to them.

What ya gonna do with that Spigen Hub, or is it a thumb drive? 😀

That Badge is something special!

16 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Wow Cap'n,

It took me a long time to find my first Barber, I was always seeing them here and it drove me nuts. 🤪 They should be everywhere I hunt, and they're not, so congrats! Sad that the ground wasn't kind to it but still awesome. 👍

Looks like that park has potential for the persistent. 🙂 cool smattering o' stuff!

I think digging some of that iron probably helped find better targets, which is always a hazard for us.

As always your finds have that real "Western" feel to them.

What ya gonna do with that Spigen Hub, or is it a thumb drive? 😀

Thanks, F350! I had to look the Spigen thing up after you mentioned it. I thought it was some kind of zipper pull or something, but it's a universal phone "kickstand". 😏

Sounds like a great spot to keep hitting!

Very impressive hunt. I like seeing your getting iron. I like the cross too.