Detector Finds From Tailing Piles & Hand Placer Digs

• 1 month later...

On 11/23/2023 at 1:46 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Welcome to DP and hopefully some of our knowledge will help you succeed.

I'm usually running the stock coil with a VLF when in tailing piles and occasionally the larger.  For the GB-2, I recommend the stock 10" Ellip and on occasion even the 14" Ellip.

I'm not a fan of using a PI in tailing but when I do, I prefer a DD so I can use Iron ID.  If using the buddy system (both detectors at once), then you can use a MONO on the PI.  Watch out with a PI as they are extremely deep and those tailing also have big deep trash.

Best of luck to you and I look forward to hearing of your adventures.

Hi Gerry,

I plan on doing the buddy method using my BG 2 and the GPX 4800 "yes I know, the bastard child " in dredge tailings.

When i bought the GPX 4800 last June and still having  a few more months til I retire and get back out there in the field,  I decided to detect at local beaches, at the Columbia River and Cape Dissapointment where the Columbia meets the Pacific Ocean. I learned that the GPX detected much deeper than a Whites TDI I had been borrowing from a friend at the local prospecting club I belong to. It got old digging deep only to find a battery from someone's tape pen at 18 inches or a piece of rigging cable at 24+ inches, so I decreased the sensitivity to around 2-3 with iron disc maxed. That worked much better. I also got far better at listening to the sound of the targets and especially what sounded like a warbling tone. I started calling it the turkey tone (you know, gobble gobble) I got much better and was finding jewelry, coins, old aluminum beer tabs,ect..... I maintain that I am going to corner the market on pull tabs!

So , my question to you is, while doing the buddy system with the GB 2 and the GPX 4800, do you think the reduced sensitivity setting I used on the GPX on the beaches would work in dredge tailing piles so I'm not likely to dig up iron bolts and other deep trash from the dredge yet have enough sensitivity to find the gold? 

Thanks  

RiverRat