Small Coil?

H20waterhunter

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

They were probably focused solely on releasing the Xtreme Hunter two-box coil so they could recoup their R&D investment after announcing it 6 years ago.  Maybe now that is behind them, they can focus on a fifth coil.

Let's hope so!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, HardPack said:

Totally agree. Without a 9x5 coil offering current XP Deus owners have a weakened incentive to move up to the Deus II. A lot of real competition out there, ignoring customer requests not very wise of XP.

Do tell.......What can a D2 9X5 coil do that the current 9"coil cannot???    PS the 9" coil is actually 8 3/4" 

27 minutes ago, midalake said:

Do tell.......What can a D2 9X5 coil do that the current 9"coil cannot???    PS the 9" coil is actually 8 3/4" 

I've been reading this thread, because I'm still on the fence about getting a D2, and am learning as much as I can about it. Anyway, one of the considerations for me, used to be that the D2 had no smaller elliptical coil. I say "used to", because since then, I've done a kind of flip flop on the matter.

For example, I used to almost always use the 9.5x6 coil on my Legend, but near the end of last summer, I started using the 11" round coil again. I'm getting a couple of inches more depth from the 11", but with no notable improvement in separation. Although the smaller coil is lighter of course.

I don't think I'm getting much better separation with the elliptical coil, because with the main detection field of any DD coil being a narrow strip from front to back, the separation ability of any DD coil is already very good. In addition to that, the modern SMF detectors have extraordinary separation speed to begin with, regardless of coil size.

So ya, I'd be totally happy with the 9" round coil on the D2, along with something like a 13" round coil.

Given all of that, I probably wouldn't buy a 9x5 coil for the D2, even if XP offered it.

18 minutes ago, midalake said:

What can a D2 9X5 coil do that the current 9"coil cannot??

The shape is easier the maneuver in tight areas such as in & around brush, cracks, etc. The XP Deus HF 9” frequency range from 15 to 55 kHz p; HF 9x5 15 to 80 kHz; higher frequency ranges: gold coin & nugget detecting.

4 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

I've been reading this thread, because I'm still on the fence about getting a D2, and am learning as much as I can about it. Anyway, one of the considerations for me, used to be that the D2 had no smaller elliptical coil. I say "used to", because since then, I've done a kind of flip flop on the matter.

For example, I used to almost always use the 9.5x6 coil on my Legend, but near the end of last summer, I started using the 11" round coil again. I'm getting a couple of inches more depth from the 11", but with no notable improvement in separation. Although the smaller coil is lighter of course.

I don't think I'm getting much better separation with the elliptical coil, because with the main detection field of the DD coil being a narrow strip from front to back, the separation ability of any DD coil is already very good. In addition to that, the modern SMF detectors have extraordinary separation speed to begin with, regardless of coil size.

So ya, I'd be totally happy with the 9" round coil on the D2, along with something like a 13" round coil.

I'm sort of there too since getting my 11", but there are places that I go that a skinny coil will allow a few extra inches of motion and that can be a game changer for my hunting.

That being said, if space is not a problem, there are ways on a D2 round coil to narrow the separation and simulate an elliptical coil, but as is often the case, being able to slip into tight areas can get more overlooked finds.

I think we will eventually get the 9x5" or 10x6" coil whenever XP determines it is a go. And when we do, I will have an excuse to return to the impossible hunting areas to find the hidden goods. 😉

6 minutes ago, HardPack said:

The shape is easier the maneuver in tight areas such as in & around brush, cracks, etc. The XP Deus HF 9” frequency range from 15 to 55 kHz p; HF 9x5 15 to 80 kHz; higher frequency ranges: gold coin & nugget detecting.

Not buying any of that.

Except [maybe] for a specialty solo HF coil.  Which very few people would buy due to its limited application. 

The lack of that coil is the primary reason I've never bought a D2 as I refuse to buy a multi-purpose machine that's not a gold prospecting one seeing that's half of my detecting if not more.  They've caught it up a little bit with the recent update, however it's still a long way behind current gold prospecting machines and that HF elliptical is the missing piece of the puzzle.

1 hour ago, midalake said:

With all due respect midalake probably nothing if ones primary detecting focus is beach hunting.

4 hours ago, midalake said:

Not buying any of that.

The  9” x35 and 9” HF are both excellent coils…for the XP Deus 1 plus there is also the option of the excellent HF 9x5 coil. Unfortunately, at this time an option of a  9x5  is not available for the XP Deus II. That was a major consideration for some when it came to purchasing a SMF detector. XP is losing market shares to both the Nokta Legend with the LG24 9.5x6 and the ML EQX 800/900 with the Coiltek 10x5. 

How many customers are currently lined up to purchase the ML Manticore M8 8x5.5. 
I find it hard to believe XP won’t be releasing a Deus II 9x5 version soon.