Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Another Reason Why New Detector Models Act The Way They Do

One thing I rarely see an influencer video demonstration show or even read very much about is how important it is to really get these hot DD coils centered over the target before making a full judgement about the accuracy of the target IDs when using many of the latest detectors especially the SMFs. 

I know that Steve has mentioned it in several posts in the past even way back in relation to the Whites V3i (I could be wrong) and so have others. I have complained about the instability of the Nox 700/900 compared to the 600/800 and there were plenty of non Equinox 600/800 users and new users that complained about the 600/800 too.

Getting the coil centered over the target with the high gain Manticore, Equinox models, Legend and Deus 2 is super important. For shallower targets it can be less important if the user is using good coil control. I use the onboard pinpoint function a lot on tougher targets and make sure that I am taking the final target ID with the most sensitive part of the coil directly (hopefully) over the target.

Maybe these infuencers don't mention it because they don't want to tell the truth, don't know how to handle the situation since they just got the detector, don't consider it important or who knows. 

Most of what I see are target ID air tests with perfect IDs and tones.

Depending on soil conditions, partial masking and depth, orientation, target makeup, target condition and several other factors, those perfect IDs can be drastically different depending on where the target is in relation to the undersurface of the coil. 

Nokta actually did a really good write-up about the Legend's target ID situation in the Target ID section of their manual. It is almost an apology!!!! What they failed to do was to give suggestions about how to improve the target IDs when detecting.

The trend is for faster VLF detectors that can ID accurately and deeper, detect well on a wide range of ground/beach conditions, detect a wide range of targets with different conductivities and a wide range of target sizes. They also need to be SMFs for the most part, lightweight, wireless audio capable, easy to collapse and pack up and waterproof.

Today's simultaneous multi frequency operation tech can result in some amazing results. Those simultaneous multi frequencies can also detect and give corresponding target IDs for say a US zinc penny and its copper coating or what's left of it, its corroding and oxidizing zinc interior and it malformed condition with bumps, chips and holes included and they can do this all on one swing of the coil. They can also audibly detect the threads on a screw or bolt, etc. Really amazing and really accurately honest information for an experienced detector user. For a beginner-OMG.

• Like 3

I think there has to be some kind of standard test given by the detector manufacturer for us to test our detectors and coils. I have had enough experiences myself with bad coils on my CTX and EQ800, poor depth on various surf pi’s, not as good depth on my AQ. Such tests must eliminate variables like mineralization as we can’t duplicate them. If a guy’s AQ has better depth than mine in air (and we are comparing side by side) I’d say there is a valid difference and it likely affects real world performance. I sent mine into Fisher and they said it detects a nickel in 16”. Well…. How do I duplicate this as I’m seeing/hearing 2” less.  
There are some air test videos of surf pi’s/DF’s where they must put a gold ring 2-3” from the coil to hear it. Oh jeez, your detector is out of calibration and you are missing targets. 

• Like 2

I watched some videos from different channels and did some air tests with my Manticore. Buried some coins in the back yard and found out Canadian $1 & $2 coins (as well as quarters) behave differently in the dirt. With my limited practical experience with this machine I can predict it's junk that I'm going to dig fairly accurately, but I have to dig it to make sure. I had watched some of TNSS videos because he had been recommended by some other You-tubers. I wouldn't waste my time with that one again.

• Like 3

I think air testing can provide valuable information as long as it’s backed up with in the field results. Some of the custom programs that people share can be used as a good starting point, but users will likely need to make some adjustments to suit their own needs. The ultimate goal being to help the user understand how and when to use the settings

I also think some detector manufacturers expect positive reviews in exchange for sending free detectors out to these “testers”.  Last year I was contacted by a manufacturer who shall remain nameless. They asked me if I’d be interested in “testing” one of their detectors. I replied and told them “sure, but I don’t post promotional reviews or test results. If it’s good, I’ll say it’s good. If it sucks, I’ll say it sucks”. Never heard back from them. ?

• Like 9

On 11/10/2023 at 12:06 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

finding the truth on the Manticore means reading 100 posts or more on the subject by a wide number of different real world users in different locations. The truth emerges over time, not in a five minute video shot by a guy who has had the detector for three days, if that.

Amen.....Did I say Amen?   Give me a big, AMEN! ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:12 AM, EL NINO77 said:

The 12 cm concentric coil on this detector provides the best separation results in the Monte performance nailboard test. at the optimal setting. on 1 frequency but also in multi-frequency...

Not meant to derail, but a quick side-bar please.

@EL NINO,

Can you run that small coil on the Atrex in multi-freq?  I thought I read it should only be run in single frequency?  If it works, does it work well or have problems?

If so I need to test it against my Equinox running the 6" coil in multi-freq, and I may have never purchased the small Equinox coil.

• Like 1

Dave... the 12cm concentric coil on the ATREX ..it is not a problem to work in multi-frequency,,, on the contrary, it does not lose its separation possibilities... which I use and have good results with it.. and the great value of this small 12cm concentric coil from provides the best 2D separation of all coils to ATREX...:wink:

• Like 2