A New Concentric Coil Coming For The Earlier GPX 4500/5000 Series From X-coils

phrunt

On 11/29/2023 at 8:31 AM, phrunt said:
On 11/29/2023 at 8:30 AM, Luis said:

What would be the price Simon?

They haven't worked that out yet.

Hi Phrunt. If they haven't worked out the pricing  yet how have you managed to be getting one sent to you. Are you being given it, & if so, why?

D4G

29 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Hi Phrunt. If they haven't worked out the pricing  yet how have you managed to be getting one sent to you. Are you being given it, & if so, why?

I've been friends with them from just about the start, and manage their FB group.  I am being sent the coil as a gift.  They have also made a 20" version so far which has proven to be a good coil in the testing handling bad ground very well with great EMI handling.  15" suits my needs a lot better than 20" though.

• Like 8

On 11/29/2023 at 4:06 AM, Gold Catcher said:

We are dealing with the same type of hot rocks (mostly volcanic). Here is a flavor of what I am talking about. Literally every rock screams like a beer can. There is alot of gold in this ground. But good luck getting it. These rocks go all the way deep. If the old gpx with the Xcoils can work here and outperform the gpz in general/difficult, I am in! BTW, despite all that I have recovered small nuggets that were stuck to these hot rocks with the GPZ. Just to show the power of the GPZ timings. The 6000 is totally useless here, doesn't matter the configuration.

Hotrocks.thumb.jpg.711b509c969043ba5a648a6d3ba5436c.jpg

hot-2.thumb.jpg.e7742ef93a7603d1ace26fa362e5f9e5.jpg

hot-3.thumb.jpg.8885f470e8e93b165f821fafa6ba6096.jpg

hot-4.thumb.jpg.fcaac8313b5a97d3e66df737c8fa3793.jpg

After reading up on the benefits of DD coils on PI machines, I tried the 14-DD coil on the 6K to see if it was better with hot rocks and also saw no improvement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchman4 said:

After reading up on the benefits of DD coils on PI machines, I tried the 14-DD coil on the 6K to see if it was better with hot rocks and also saw no improvement.

That's because the 6000 is like a 5000 where you've broken your knob off and got stuck in sensitive extra, yes you get the best small gold capability by being in sensitive extra but it struggles with hot rocks, change timing and watch the hot rocks go away, something the 6000 severely lacks, if you encounter a bad area the 6000 doesn't like you have to use a different detector, not a different timing.

• Like 3

Looking forward to hearing about the black sand beach and also the EMI capabilities when you have a chance to put it to the test. Thanks for doing that Simon. The 6000 for me is uninteresting, no matter who makes a new coil for it 😄. I now use it to prop up all my other detectors. Makes a great book end🤔

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

if you encounter a bad area the 6000 doesn't like you have to use a different detector, not a different timing.

Spot on. With all the greatness of the 6000 this is a severe limitation. That's why my 7000 is always in my truck (also since I don't own an Axiom...). 🙂

GC

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Looking forward to hearing about the black sand beach and also the EMI capabilities when you have a chance to put it to the test. Thanks for doing that Simon. The 6000 for me is uninteresting, no matter who makes a new coil for it 😄. I now use it to prop up all my other detectors. Makes a great book end🤔

That's what I'm interested in most too, the earlier GPX can make an excellent beach detector, and with the Concentric depth, being in DD mode as a Concentric cutting out a lot of EMI.    Just need to screw these little things onto the switches to prolong their life when exposed to sand.  

61AYkTUmSML._SL1125_.thumb.jpg.9de5cee8ee8a0177f0efb6716849ad28.jpg

If it cuts out EMI as well as a DD yet provides Concentric depth, I'll be super happy, top that off with good ground handling for the black sand and it will be ideal for me.  Having the discrimination is another bonus I guess, I'd need to play with that a bit to see how I like it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's what I'm interested in most too, the earlier GPX can make an excellent beach detector, and with the Concentric depth, being in DD mode as a Concentric cutting out a lot of EMI.    Just need to screw these little things onto the switches to prolong their life when exposed to sand.  

61AYkTUmSML._SL1125_.thumb.jpg.9de5cee8ee8a0177f0efb6716849ad28.jpg

If it cuts out EMI as well as a DD yet provides Concentric depth, I'll be super happy, top that off with good ground handling for the black sand and it will be ideal for me.  Having the discrimination is another bonus I guess, I'd need to play with that a bit to see how I like it.

I've had to use electronic contact cleaner on my potentiometers and switches. I never seen those little switch covers. Talk about durable, at one time I could hardly turn the potentiometer to change timings 😬 Sprayed it well and it works fine now. I think I'm going on about  at least 4 or 5 years of hunting beaches with the 5000 and it's like a tank. I would buy one of the X coils if it gets me more depth than the DD coils do. Cautiously optimistic to see what happens.

• Like 2

They should be at your local electronics shops, often called Toggle switch rubber boots.  Here is amazon linking to a heap of them, just need the right screw thread size and a rubber boot long enough for the switch, pretty easy to find if you go into a shop with them and check them out.

Amazon.com : toggle switch rubber boot

The early GPX models are built like tanks, the contrast to the 6000 is vast.

I'm really looking forward to trying out this Concentric coil and looking forward to using the early GPX again as it's been sidelined since the 7000, and I've done a fair bit of work to mine since getting the 7000 with the carbon shaft, external speaker and lithium battery, none of this I had when I actively used it often.

IMG_1378.thumb.jpg.20333ac99e2418379fd306a24485de8c.jpgIMG_1379.thumb.jpg.12bc1c448e1adf1400b97d421330fa27.jpgIMG_1380.thumb.jpg.85dd33c38996ed227f0baa3881f657b0.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I would buy one of the X coils if it gets me more depth than the DD coils do. Cautiously optimistic to see what happens

Me too.....but I'm confident the price will stop me in my tracks.

• Like 1