Well It Wasn't My Last Hunt Of The Year - Rare Coin!

5 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

HOW did I miss this thread ? Now I just used up all of my likes  ! 

Talk about Merry Christmas ! Even your yahd is giving you presents ! 

I always expect "something good" when you post your out front yahd finds . 

Your yahd sure outdid itself this hunt though ! OOOOOie ! 

Thanks RVP,

Couldn't get out yesterday when it was 60 for a return engagement, lots of family stuff. 🎅

Today and tomorrow rain, thought I would get away with it this morning but now shifting gear again to hit holiday sales and use gift cards. 😀 I might be able to get out Friday, the mud should be gone by then, Saturday will be even better.

Definitely the second coolest find of the year, I was shocked. 🤯

Got new headphones (WSA II XL) and itching to get out there, maybe I'll put the mud boots on. 🤣

3 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

It's probably not on any map but you live on top of a gold mine of finds....🤯

Yeah, but like real gold they're disappearing fast. 😵 Already wiped out one side of the road, subsequent detecting has not returned much.

F350 Congrats on the rare old state half penny, token, cool baseball medal and the other relics. The soil could've been a little nicer to such a fine old coin. The baseball medal is the first one I've seen posted. When I first started Md'ing I found the same one in my neighbors yard , a 40s build with an AT Pro. Like you I never found any info on it but I love it and still have it on display. Yours has more detail than the one I found. Have to say a little jelly of all the old hunting ground you have right outside your front door. lol Good luck in the new year. Mark

That would have me stoked!  Must be nice to roll out of bed in the morning and be in prime hunting territory!  

2 hours ago, markinswpa said:

F350 Congrats on the rare old state half penny, token, cool baseball medal and the other relics. The soil could've been a little nicer to such a fine old coin. The baseball medal is the first one I've seen posted. When I first started Md'ing I found the same one in my neighbors yard , a 40s build with an AT Pro. Like you I never found any info on it but I love it and still have it on display. Yours has more detail than the one I found. Have to say a little jelly of all the old hunting ground you have right outside your front door. lol Good luck in the new year. Mark

Thanks Mark,

I have about 100 acres of open farm out front, and about 300 acres I have permission to near that. Too bad I didn't start much earlier after we bought this house, but despite some unauthorized detecting there I have managed to find some great stuff. 🙂

While there are few to no rocks, no mineralization at all, and maybe 4-6" of topsoil before clay, the reason the soil is so nasty to coins is that over the last 250-300 years or so various fertilizers including fish have been used. It's incredibly easy to dig until it becomes dry. Chase has called it among other things a "Detecting Paradise" 😀

I doubt bronze or copper coins survive well in most any farm unless the soil is very sandy. That sand is another foot below the clay. 😏

37 minutes ago, Geologyhound said:

That would have me stoked!  Must be nice to roll out of bed in the morning and be in prime hunting territory!  

Thanks Ghound,

It really is. 🙂 I've covered some of it so well however that there really isn't anything left but iron 😏 a spot I found early on was crisscrossed many times in just about every direction after finding cut 1 Reale (pistareen) pieces.

There is a lot of trash in certain spots, there were two farmhouses out there a long time ago, both were pushed into the woods, and one a lot of the topsoil was pushed to the edge of a very deep ravine. I try to hunt those soil berms but they are heavily overgrown.

I mostly hunt these spaces now at random on days when going to my larger and more distant permissions isn't a good idea.

I may grid the place I found the half cent though 🤔

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, F350, it's a Christmas Miracle! Excellent finds, congrats and well done! 😎

wow2.gif

Thanks Cap,

Sure was a miracle, but I've not really looked where I found it. That button and buckle were nearby. 😀 Maybe another colonial pit stop 🤣