Cheap VLF Scuba Detector For Under Au$ 900

Please note: This detector is waterproof down to 5 metres.. Unless you're some freaky deep sea shipwreck archaeologist, this gives you just the right depth range to hunt your local beaches (thanks to Jaws most people won't swim in waters deeper than this).. $ = Ozzy dollars.. Prices are according to a quick online search.. I'm sure that with a bit of ferocious haggling this VLF scuba detector could be yours for much cheaper, especially second-hand.. 

Here's the recipe: 

Slowly lower a lukewarm Xterra Pro ($499) into a huge pot, then swiftly add a stone cold V8X coil ($179).. Don't be afraid to mix things up, adding this coil instead of the one your Xterra came with will transform the flavour of the brew from turf to surf.. Before you add any water make sure you gently stir in a yellow pair of waterproof headphones (various makers - $185).. To test the water integrity of your VLF scuba detector, vigorously swirl the mixture in salty water for at least an hour at your nearest nudie beach.. 

There you go, a brand spanking new VLF scuba detector for only Au$ 863.. US$ 577..  € 527.. GBP 453.. ¥ 83,928.. Bargain! 😎     

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Cheap VLF Scuba Detector For Under Au$ 900

Or buy a Nokta Score for 449 euros.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 11:20 AM, Erik Oostra said:

Xterra Pro

I have to admit that this experiment was among the Christmas ideas but I convinced myself not to do it because soon, with 7 detectors I will have nothing but to throw away shabby batteries due to disuse.

• Like 1

Erik - Are you consuming this new concoction?  It's a great value and compact, but would be interested in knowing how it's doing in submerged salt water given that it's a single frequency machine (fresh water, a different story).  I know people find it to be OK on wet salt sand, but surf and submerged in salt water are a different story and a challenge for detectors that don't have the advantage of simultaneous multi-frequency for salt balance stability.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

It's a great value and compact, but would be interested in knowing how it's doing in submerged salt water given that it's a single frequency machine (fresh water, a different story).

I was considering this concoction as a cheapish way to get me through after my second pair of D2 bone-phones conked out and my Nox 600 started leaking..

I'd also be keen to know how single frequency detectors perform underwater, especially on the XTerra Pro's lower frequencies (5, 8, 10 and 15kHz).. I figured a small coil like the V8X or even the Coiltek 10x5'' would lessen the salt water signal compared to the standard coil.. 

But the drama has been resolved with a new pair of over-the-head headphones for the D2.. 😁   

• Like 1

I can only find one person who uses the XTerra Pro exclusively as a scuba detector, there's a lot of people who use it for wading.. The dude that uses it as a scuba detector is Korean, he's got loads of videos on Youtube.. Looks like he's doing alright with the standard coil.. Here's one of his videos: 

• Like 1