Axiom Tests On Extreme Black Sand

1 hour ago, Knomad said:

When I first went to this location a few years ago it was Virtually Undetectable, a Nox 800 in any mode with any settings, a Whites GMT, a Fisher Goldbug Pro, and a Whites TDI SL, could not even detect a Brass Shotgun Shell even level with the surface.

This time I think the Black Sand has sunk, But is near pure iron and in both concentrated areas as well as small spots everywhere, so any coil movement detects another glob it seems.

If I did not know where the test target was, it is highly unlikely I would find it with sensitivity high enough to detect it, even moving slow, the threshold was way too noisy even at minimal setting, like it was Mixing Threshold with target sound. BUT with threshold Completely OFF somehow it filtered the background noise sound but still allowed the Target Sound, in ALL except fine mode that was unusable. What was heard was an occasional clipping of target sound, but basically silent other than that. NOTE- This ONLY worked well at FULL sensitivity of 8.!   Anything below 6 and the target was lost,  So Silent Searching AT MAXIMUM sensitivity..!  When otherwise a sensitivity of 3 was REQUIRED to detect the target BUT was Unbearably Noisy.

Hunting with threshold very low or off has lots of potential. I have been lobbying Garrett to fine tune the threshold adjustment range on the low end for this reason in a possible future update. Right now the setting is too coarse. The more people like you that find it useful the better the chance.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I intend to make a trip up to these beaches sometime this year as they would have to be an untapped gold mine, very popular beaches for swimming yet nobody can detect them very well at all.

Simon,

Here's a few suggestions for those conditions, depending on your budget, and energy level!😁🍀👍👍

Screenshot_20240121_195252_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240121_195226_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240121_195239_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 2

Funny you mention the Infinium during the crazy California storms last year i was working a beach with a group of guys i had my Apex there was a d2 ,nox  and a legend and we were all doing pretty good  in the fairly heavy black sand but i noticed nobody was working the top 6 feet of the beach up against a wall .I could see a quarter and nickel sitting on the surface and none of our detectors could hear them,it was just pure black sand it looked like it was spray painted black . I ran back to my truck grabbed my infinium with the double d coil and in a 6by 40 ft strip i got 3 and half gold rings maybe 20 nickels and something like 10 silver coins.The next day a guy brought a gpz and struggled,

• Like 3

I wonder if he tried high yield with severe as the ground type,  I've found that to work pretty well on the GPZ with a DOD coil on black sand beach environments, I just don't know if it will handle the crazy black sand of the pure black sand beaches up north from here.

11 hours ago, Knomad said:

When I first went to this location a few years ago it was Virtually Undetectable, a Nox 800 in any mode with any settings, a Whites GMT, a Fisher Goldbug Pro, and a Whites TDI SL, could not even detect a Brass Shotgun Shell even level with the surface.

This time I think the Black Sand has sunk, But is near pure iron and in both concentrated areas as well as small spots everywhere, so any coil movement detects another glob it seems.

If I did not know where the test target was, it is highly unlikely I would find it with sensitivity high enough to detect it, even moving slow, the threshold was way too noisy even at minimal setting, like it was Mixing Threshold with target sound. BUT with threshold Completely OFF somehow it filtered the background noise sound but still allowed the Target Sound, in ALL except fine mode that was unusable. What was heard was an occasional clipping of target sound, but basically silent other than that. NOTE- This ONLY worked well at FULL sensitivity of 8.!   Anything below 6 and the target was lost,  So Silent Searching AT MAXIMUM sensitivity..!  When otherwise a sensitivity of 3 was REQUIRED to detect the target BUT was Unbearably Noisy.

That's a very interesting observation... I'll try to test it on my PI ATX on a 25 kg bag of pure magnetite.. when I get home from Spain..
My tests with the PI ATX on a 25Kg bag of pure magnetite helped me to find a fairly optimal setting for this PI detector... as well as to find out its reaction to such extreme conditions...

Ps ..One thing..I also think that the classic DD coil on the Axiom could be a coil for extreme conditions...Remember that the DoD coil that the AXIOM has is extra sensitive to extremely very small targets and that means that in extreme cases you have to reduce a little from a non-optimal setting of the detector, the setting of the detector.. which is intended for less extreme terrains..