Interesting / Alarming Detecting News Downunder

5 hours ago, klunker said:

Oh My God! I'm an artifact! If any of you should find me keeled over while out detecting, remove the coins from my pocket and buy a beer, give my detector to a deserving youngster, but DO NOT disturb my remains lest you be fined and imprisoned. You may also want to send a brief note to inform the Smithsonian.

Join the club. 💀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Klunker, you are a valuable artifact. 

• Haha 4

Reading this reminded me of when I enquired about detecting near a historic site about 12 years ago. I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be on a no go zone so I contacted the guys from Parks Victoria in the area. The guy I spoke to asked me what I was detecting for and I said gold. He replied "yep thats ok there but if you dig up any artifacts, relics or coins you have to return them to the ground it came out of".

I was happy to have the go ahead on the gold but was bewildered as to the return everything else to the ground bit. I said "thanks for that but I dont get the logic of returning a relic that is rotting in the ground to the ground again rather than taking it out of it and preserving it."

His reply was that's the rules. 

Crazy rules indeed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Taz said:

I was happy to have the go ahead on the gold but was bewildered as to the return everything else to the ground bit. I said "thanks for that but I dont get the logic of returning a relic that is rotting in the ground to the ground again rather than taking it out of it and preserving it."

His reply was that's the rules. 

Crazy rules indeed.

It is to slow us guys down........I wonder how many times it ( the so called relic ) gets dug up and damaged. 🧐

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geof_junk said:

It is to slow us guys down........I wonder how many times it ( the so called relic ) gets dug up and damaged. 🧐

Hi mate. Its nuts huh! Imagine being there and digging up a Sydney mint Sovereign!? 

"Wow, for real? A Sydney Mint! Dancing time........oh, hang on (voice of park guy saying in slow motion in your mind as you raise your eyes) you...have...to...return...it...to...the...ground......

🤔.....well, technically it is gold!"