Interesting / Alarming Detecting News Downunder

6 hours ago, palzynski said:

Hopefully there are more clever people in other countries administrations like in England where there is a partnership called the "Treasure Act" between the detectorists and the archaelogists . The detectorists declare their finds which are studied by archaelogists . If a find is declared as the treasure by the archaelogists it can be bought by a museum and the detectorist receives a payment . If the find is not a treasure it can be kept by the detectorist.  

Hundreds of finds are declared annually by the detectorists in England thanks to the Treasure Act .

In France the situation is similar to Australia and nothing is declared because the French detectorists know that they will have pbs if they declare ( this has occured several times ) , this even if metal detecting is authorized in France ( except on listed sites of course ) ... 

Conclusion : Who is the winner for a better history knowledge   ?  England or Australia-France ?   That is the question ... 🙂

The so called "Heritage" artefacts cannot be more than 200yrs old. European sites are digging up coins and relics from prehistory.(before Christ), while Aussie mining companies are destroying the native/indigenous history of over 60000yrs!

Yet this fuss is being made about trinkets dropped by convicts and miners, while exploration grants to mine large areas are being handed out to companies.

Bureaucracy gone mad!!

I've signed and donated!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Prickly Prospector said:

The so called "Heritage" artefacts cannot be more than 200yrs old. European sites are digging up coins and relics from prehistory.(before Christ), while Aussie mining companies are destroying the native/indigenous history of over 60000yrs!

Yet this fuss is being made about trinkets dropped by convicts and miners, while exploration grants to mine large areas are being handed out to companies.

Bureaucracy gone mad!!

I've signed and donated!

yep

Pilbara mining blast confirmed to have destroyed 46,000yo sites of 'staggering' significance - ABC News

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ive let Luke know that many years ago, when this heritage act was being formulated, the PMAV (Prospectors and Miners Association of Victoria) got an agreed legal exemption from the act whereby all finders of said 'artifacts' now had recognized 'custodianship' and were exempt from the penalties of the act. Hopefully this is still valid. Ive suggested he contact the PMAV for details. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bureaucracy gone mad. A worrying trend here in Australia. Have these public servants nothing better to do?

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Bureaucracy gone mad. A worrying trend here in Australia. Have these public servants nothing better to do?

'Public Servants', giving the public a serve. Trying to justify their paycheck and existence. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aureous said:

'Public Servants', giving the public a serve. Trying to justify their paycheck and existence. 🙄

Some times it is not only the lawmakers but the stupid enforcement by some 'Public Servants'.  I was once at a beach where the shell fish were a popular food source for free, to the influx of new Australians back then. The area was cleaned out and they made the beach a shell fish reserve to save what was left. All the shell fish were rocked based. The beach was open to the public but they were not allowed to get shell fish. Way back in the early 1980 my boys were digging in the sand quiet deep to make a sand castle, while I was detecting close to them. This official public servant (idiot)said I could not detect here. I asked why . His answer was this is a shell fish reserve. Does that mean my boys can't dig here making their castle. No that's OK was his reply. When I said my holes were not any where as deep, as the boys. The answer was you can't dig here. Many years have past and I have seen many detectorist doing that beach (not I ) and the are not told by the later official beach inspectors. I guess the idiot did not last long. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The problem is that people who draft the legislation and enforce the laws have not practical experience of the hobby. The academics interested in this area feel threatened by metal detectorists and this influences their recommendations to those who draft the law. The UK stands as an excellent example of how engaging with each other and learning from each other brings about meaningful changes to laws. By rewarding land owners and detectorist many magnificent discoveries have been made that enriches everyone involved and preserves valuable history. Detectorists and land owners as well as the historians all benefit from collaboration. Disinformation and distrust work against us all. Again I point at the success of the UK and the important role played by detectorist clubs and societies in engaging with and influencing meaningful legislative changes.

• Like 4

Copy of updated info.

RECENT UPDATE. 22-1-2024

qEdtnrWEOPmGQUc-128x128-noPad.jpg?170592
Luke Phillips
Australia

JAN 22, 2024 — 

I would first like to say a massive thank you to everyone out there that is supporting this most important cause so far! We have passed well over 1000 signatures in less than 24 hours.

Now for an update...

Today I spoke with my local MP to sit for a meeting next week to discuss all matters regarding the allegations and prosecution set against me. And our rights towards metal detecting and unearthing/saving the history we find. And if everything is correct and organised in time, this could even go in front of parliament around April 2024 when our next sitting takes place.

Channel Nine News Australia has also taken an interview from me and is in the process of helping us share this information and campaign for future through relevant media outlets. Funny enough to, the same wonderful journalist who contacted me last year to promote the amazing metal detecting work I and others across Australia were doing. And now this year the same wonderful journalist is contacting me back to speak about being prosecuted for it. Times couldn't get any stranger!

I have also been collecting statements and references from landowners and people I have had the pleasure of meeting throughout my time detecting.

I would also like to ask everyone out there who is, has or will be affected by this ban to enjoy metal detecting for future, to please reach out and email how it is impacting you! My email is @Lukephillips169@gmail.com  or you can direct msg me via Facebook if you prefer.

There is also a dispute with the timeline of when Heritage Victoria first contacted me regarding this situation. Heritage Victoria stated in their most recent email to me (18-1-2024) that there first contact was only in November 2022. However I have documents to prove otherwise! As i was first actually contacted all the way back in November 2020. Is this a slip of the key when typing a so perfectly worded harrasing email to me...or is it a lie to make them look better that they were following up quicker on such a bad "criminal" activity like detecting?....You decide.

Thank you again for your time supporting this cause that's so close to my heart, plus so many others! There will be plenty more updates to follow as I know more. We have some of the biggest names out there supporting this cause now and your name added to the list is just as important to have this resolved.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

t can go as low as 50 years here.

Oh My God! I'm an artifact! If any of you should find me keeled over while out detecting, remove the coins from my pocket and buy a beer, give my detector to a deserving youngster, but DO NOT disturb my remains lest you be fined and imprisoned. You may also want to send a brief note to inform the Smithsonian.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Fossilized Kl..... the Pubic Serpents will build a monument. Lets av a beer with KL before they get him, he did say he`s shouting didn`t he....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1