Axiom Mono/dd Coil Gpx4000 Nf 10x5 Coil Depth Test Deus 2 Also

• The title was changed to Axiom Mono/dd Coil Gpx4000 Nf 10x5 Coil Depth Test Deus 2 Also

Good testing, the next step is going deeper until there is a winner! 

If the Deus 2 is holding its own, the PI's should be able to keep going a fair bit deeper yet.

Sounds like you've got a good combination of detectors now for your soil type.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Good testing, the next step is going deeper until there is a winner! 

If the Deus 2 is holding its own, the PI's should be able to keep going a fair bit deeper yet.

Sounds like you've got a good combination of detectors now for your soil type.

Thanks Simon.

I did this little test to prove three things to myself and anyone else that wants to know.

The Axiom is at least as sensitive as the GPX series on smaller targets. I was running it very conservatively.

The GPX 4000 is quite the detector and can still hold its own today.

Deus 2's gold prospecting mode and even the Mono mode running 45 kHz, set wide open -6.4 disc, using VCO audio and the 9" coil can hit some deep coin sized targets even in the crappy dirt I was testing in. It's basically beep/dig but that's okay. However, its normal default FMF discrimination modes simply can't handle that dirt nearly as well.

I will do a test soon with a Coiltek 14X9 on the GPX 4000 and the Axiom with its 13X11. That should be fun. 

I am not looking for a winner.  I know which detector I would pickup and use given a choice.

Holding, swinging and detecting with the Axiom is a real pleasure. It's like using a finely tuned musical instrument that not only plays well, it feels great to use as if it was fitted just for me. I don't think I have ever been able to think that about a GPX 4000 to 5000. They detect well but the ergonomic design is just ridiculous.

• Like 6

Thanks for the test results. Glad I didn't sell my 5000. I agree with Phrunt "next step is to go deeper until you get a winner".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FishBamboo said:

Thanks for the test results. Glad I didn't sell my 5000. I agree with Phrunt "next step is to go deeper until you get a winner".

Like I just said, I am not interested in a winner.

The Axiom is the detector I would use for most detecting unless I had to go after a target a meter deep. I would need a bigger coil for my GPX 4000 for sure. My biggest is 14X9".  I bought this 4000 recently because it was available at a ridiculous $800 US price with two good batteries and two coils. I didn't really need it, but now I have a fine backup or loaner when one of my grown up kids goes with me.

If you haven't picked up an Axiom.......the balance and feel of this detector is incredible. Minelab's GPX 6000 has good ergonomics but the Axiom is on a whole different level.

So, the Axiom is easily the equal of the GPX series on smaller targets with similar sized coils. That was important for me to find out.

Deep test comes later when the ground here thaws out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jeef..have you tried increasing the IAR disk in the gold program in Deus 2?..from 0 to 1,2,3 and with what results?. on nuggets and from the results on coins...
The mineralization meter on the Deus 2 indicates... that even a VLF detector can be reasonably successful here..But I also believe that PI detectors  Axiom and GPX 5000...are simply better here and have a better depth reserve ...
Thanks for this test and comparison.👍.

...but like others, I'm also looking forward to your next in-depth detector test in this field...:smile:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

Jeef..have you tried increasing the IAR disk in the gold program in Deus 2?..from 0 to 1,2,3 and with what results?. on nuggets and from the results on coins...
The mineralization meter on the Deus 2 indicates... that even a VLF detector can be reasonably successful here..But I also believe that PI detectors  Axiom and GPX 5000...are simply better here and have a better depth reserve ...
Thanks for this test and comparison.👍.

...but like others, I'm also looking forward to your next in-depth detector test in this field...:smile:

I use Deus 2 and ORX for very small nugget gold prospecting. Using any kind of iron discrimination on sub 0.1 gram gold targets is "iffy" at best and can result in masking or in turning small gold nugget boderline non-ferrous responses into ferrous responses more easily depending on the level of ground mineralization and depth.

Disc IAR works really well for larger non-ferrous targets, especially those that are not low conductors that have target IDs close to the ferrous range of target IDs. I often will use my Deus 2 in Goldfield or ORX in one of its Gold modes with Disc IAR set fairly high and iron volume on when I am hunting for mid to high conductor coins/relics in surface to 8" deep iron/nail infested older sites.

• Like 2