Going GPX 5000 Modded - Any Tips?

I'm debating whether to sell my gpx5000 or get mick to mod it.  I've got a modded SD2200 and would love to see a comparison between a modified SD2200 and a modified gpx5000 with the same large coil on a larger deeper target. If the results were similar I'd probably sell the 5000 and get the large  concentric X-coil for my 7000. Then again I'd like to see a comparison between the modded 5000 with similar size coil and and a 7000 with the X- coil.    Sitting on the fence at the moment. 🤔

4 hours ago, Nedkelly said:

I'm debating whether to sell my gpx5000 or get mick to mod it.  I've got a modded SD2200 and would love to see a comparison between a modified SD2200 and a modified gpx5000 with the same large coil on a larger deeper target. If the results were similar I'd probably sell the 5000 and get the large  concentric X-coil for my 7000. Then again I'd like to see a comparison between the modded 5000 with similar size coil and and a 7000 with the X- coil.    Sitting on the fence at the moment. 🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nedkelly said:

I've got a modded SD2200 and would love to see a comparison between a modified SD2200 and a modified gpx5000

Hi NK. 

I have been fortunate enough to receive my father's old 5000 that was modded by Mick at Detectronics.  Have only used it a couple of times now but have been impressed with its smooth threshold, the ability to wind it right up and the ability to tame things for hotter ground.  Used it last weekend around the Whipstick for a couple of hours and picked up a nice 4 gram piece and the usual other bits of crap.  Using a 19" Evo and it was about a foot deep.  Had 2 6000's with us (my mother and my son using them) and they picked up 5 small pieces of gold and the usual 867 pieces of lead shot!  Unfortunately we didn't check anything before digging.    

Gold.png.ceea679bf86b719bbb91da6325fb870e.png

Not sure where you are NK but happy to meet up at some stage and compare the SD Vs the 5000 if you like?  I'm in N.E Vic but head to Bendigo reasonably often. 

I've also got a GP 3500 that I'd like to check on some deep targets with the 19" Evo as I think it might have some issues.   I bought it to run a 20X40" AI drag coil and it was underwhelming but I assumed that was just the coil.  Hooked it up to the 5000 yesterday (in the shed) and the threshold was smooth and the detection depth of air tested targets was pretty much 2/3 more!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gold Ryder said:

Yep watched them, I'd like to see the 22" concentric X-coil on the 7000 compared to the modded 5000 with some similar sized coils.

Also a modded SD2200 compared with a modded gpx5000 with the same large coil on a larger,  deeper target. At the moment my fully modified SD2200 has the edge over my standard gpx5000 with the larger coils and a deep test target. Would the modded 5000 equal the modded SD2200 or better it? If it's better by how much?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northeast said:

Hi NK. 

I have been fortunate enough to receive my father's old 5000 that was modded by Mick at Detectronics.  Have only used it a couple of times now but have been impressed with its smooth threshold, the ability to wind it right up and the ability to tame things for hotter ground.  Used it last weekend around the Whipstick for a couple of hours and picked up a nice 4 gram piece and the usual other bits of crap.  Using a 19" Evo and it was about a foot deep.  Had 2 6000's with us (my mother and my son using them) and they picked up 5 small pieces of gold and the usual 867 pieces of lead shot!  Unfortunately we didn't check anything before digging.    

Gold.png.ceea679bf86b719bbb91da6325fb870e.png

Not sure where you are NK but happy to meet up at some stage and compare the SD Vs the 5000 if you like?  I'm in N.E Vic but head to Bendigo reasonably often. 

I've also got a GP 3500 that I'd like to check on some deep targets with the 19" Evo as I think it might have some issues.   I bought it to run a 20X40" AI drag coil and it was underwhelming but I assumed that was just the coil.  Hooked it up to the 5000 yesterday (in the shed) and the threshold was smooth and the detection depth of air tested targets was pretty much 2/3 more!  

I'm in NSW but get down that way regularly. I used to sell gold to Neville Perry before he passed or his brother Jeff. Might try Grappys this time. Due for a trip down there when it cools down a bit. Probably just after Easter before I head to tiboobura. It would be good to catch up and do some comparisons,  I'd love to to see the modded 5000 in action. 👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nedkelly said:

Yep watched them, I'd like to see the 22" concentric X-coil on the 7000 compared to the modded 5000 with some similar sized coils.

Also a modded SD2200 compared with a modded gpx5000 with the same large coil on a larger,  deeper target. At the moment my fully modified SD2200 has the edge over my standard gpx5000 with the larger coils and a deep test target. Would the modded 5000 equal the modded SD2200 or better it? If it's better by how much?

I'd like to see all of the above as well.

Atm I'm contemplating getting my 2200d modded, and or buying and modding a 5000. Tbh, I only bought the 2200d to see for myself if it has the best outright depth as many say it had. Bought it cheap so not too concerned if it doesn't. 

I already have a spiral 20" X-Coil for the zed which on testing out performed the gpz19 by a good margin, and is so much lighter to swing.  X-Coils made a 26" CC, which if still available may be a good option also. 

The other option is the 32" Detech concentric for the sd,gp, and gpx. 

Not going to be many places these setups are going to be needed but it would be nice to have something that gives the best performance for when the need arises. 

• Like 3

I'll be sending one of my 5000's to Mick at Detectronics soon.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:46 PM, Gold Ryder said:

Just sent my 5000 to Mick at Detectronics.  Any good advice on settings when it comes home. Sounds like 3oclock is the sweet spot on the gain.  We have pretty easy ground here in Montana in most places but do have some hot spots here and there.   Also with the new level 4 mod sounds like the evo 15" is the go to all around coil. Thoughts?

Hello ,If you want to contact me,I’ve had a level 4 ,5000 since December,first one in the USA,This machine is a lot more complicated than just a one coil and go.I hunt in Gold basin most of the time.Reese T is a good friend.

• Like 2