Research On Detectable Gold

I'm starting into my 5th year as a prospector but it hasn't been much more than a year that I've started leaning heavy into detecting.  Here in Utah I've found gold in quite a few places using a pan and sluice but the overwhelming large majority has been flour gold.  I've heard many times "Do your research before exploring an area".  I have taken this serious and have improved on my ability to do research and learn more about places I have gone before physically exploring the area. 

I've found USGS as a very useful tool for finding new places, takes some persistence to know how to get the information out of there as that isn't the most intuitive tool but I have found some really interesting data in there.  I don't struggle with finding areas where gold has been found anymore but what I do struggle with is finding information on weather the gold found in that area was large enough to be detectable.

I am continuing to learn and am beginning to understand that associated rocks can be clues on potential size of the gold that could be found, but I can't think of any instance I've seen any information on the size of the gold found.  Maybe this is just a Utah thing? 

Any hints or clues on how I could find this information would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Finding big gold:  The simplest method that comes to mind is to explore placer areas close to lode mines.  It's not going to be easy to find what you want, but persevere, and you might succeed.  You may already know all this, but perhaps it will be of use.

Ways to do this:

1)  Examine modern gold claims as reported in places like https://thediggings.com.  Open a map of a county that interest you.  There are two kinds of claims shown:  placer claims and lode claims. Poke around in this data looking for placers near lode deposits or something else that intrigues you.  Use  Google Earth and https://apps.nationalmap.gov/viewer/ to further refine your decision as to which area to explore in person.

2)  Learn to download location data for historic mining areas from the USGS MRDS website:  https://mrdata.usgs.gov/mrds/  You can overlay this information onto Google Earth.  You can even use it to automatically mark locations on Google Earth so that when you click on these locations you can see more information about each mineral occurrence.  Of course you can look for mentions of big nuggets (It's not that common but this actually worked for me once), or you can just look for areas with large placer gold production near lode deposits.

3)  Mareen Johnson ( sometimes she uses her maiden name Sherlock) from the USGS has published a detailed description of placer gold deposits in Arizona and one for Nevada.  Pay attention to where she got her info.  It's in these publications somewhere.  Last time I looked Mareen had not published a report for Utah.  However, sources similar to those Mareen used may be available for Utah.  Again, you are looking for mention of big nuggets or proximity of placer and lode deposits.

4)  Recently, there have been several Detector/Prospector discussion of metal detecting dredging spoils.  If you find something that the dredge discarded, it's going to be big.  Of course you are going to prefer dredge fields near well known lode deposits.

This is serious detective work.  It's hard but may be profitable.

Good luck!

• Like 5

Read this....

From https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/metal-detecting-and-prospecting-library/

and....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi Gold Dozer,

The key in my honest opinion for detectable gold is to search for "Free Milling, Pocket type deposits."  There isn't a ton of info on this, some USGS stuff and some random stuff you will find.  You have to understand how gold nuggets are formed in the veins and search for those type of deposits.  Also, like other mentioned, the placer info on these areas will also help, letting you know if nuggets or sizeable gold has been found in the past.  

I used to love talking on the phone and emailing Jim Straight.  Jim loved to talk about true geology behind where gold comes from.  Many of his book, hard to find now, were a good research.  I believe I still have a few copies of his books, but not the NuggetShooter Bible, which was one, if not the best books written.  

Out here in the Southwest, I have found some great nugget patches in unknown, not documented areas.  These are normally on the outskirts of known gold mining districts.  

Like anything, research, exploring (boots on the ground), persistence and a bit of luck all help.  Keep in mind, a good gold detector, VLF or PI will be a big help.  

• Like 9