Opportunity To Buy Older, But Quality Detectors For Cheap

Hello everyone, completely new to the hobby. I have a friend who has these two detectors he wants to get rid of due for lack of use. Not sure what model the white one is, but the black one is a Whites XLT Spectrum E-Series with waterproof search coil that he's never used. I do know the white color one is a more entry level model per him and he's used it before. He's offering both to me for $200 just because he wants to get rid of them. 

I do have a local friend who has probably a dozen detectors who is willing to let me try his out, but I thought it would be nice to have my own if it's not something I'm going to do on the regular. 

It seems White's is out of business(?) or is serviced by Garret now so I'm not sure how much of a hassle maintenance/repairs would be or if I'm better off just buying something more modern.

Thanks!

IMG_7664.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Glittering_Ship4193 said:

Hello everyone, completely new to the hobby. I have a friend who has these two detectors he wants to get rid of due for lack of use. Not sure what model the white one is, but the black one is a Whites XLT Spectrum E-Series with waterproof search coil that he's never used. I do know the white color one is a more entry level model per him and he's used it before. He's offering both to me for $200 just because he wants to get rid of them. 

I do have a local friend who has probably a dozen detectors who is willing to let me try his out, but I thought it would be nice to have my own if it's not something I'm going to do on the regular. 

It seems White's is out of business(?) or is serviced by Garret now so I'm not sure how much of a hassle maintenance/repairs would be or if I'm better off just buying something more modern.

Thanks!

IMG_7664.jpeg

Well brother if you decide on not buying the White's detector then I WILL take it.

This place repairs Whites still.  Centreville Electronics.

6 hours ago, Glittering_Ship4193 said:

Your very best bet is to try out similar detectors that belong to your friend. Try to go on a hunt with him. Metal Detecting is one of those hobbies with a bit of a learning curve, and your experienced friend can help you through that more quickly. You need to sing a detector and see what it's all about.

Be careful about the detectors weight . Those old detectors have still performing electronics , but the electronics miniaturization has reduced the weights and recent machines can be much more cumfortable to swing than the older ones ..

For example a Whites spectrum weighs 1.6+kg , an Equinox1.3kg and  A Deus2 WS6 800g . Then there is a big difference between them if weight/detecting cumfort  is important for you...

It is something personal , some dont care about weight . Personnaly I do

I agree on the weight thing. If your younger, say under 50 than weight should not be a issue. Me .. when I got into the hobby I  did a lot of research on the type of hunting I was interested in, from this I made my detector choice. 

I went with the best I could find at the time (2008), I just feel I want to make the best of every moment I'm out.. even if it takes me a little longer to learn. And nothing wrong with the machines you have a opp to buy, but for a few more hundred you can get something modern.

On 3/31/2024 at 8:02 PM, DaveMill said:

Your very best bet is to try out similar detectors that belong to your friend. Try to go on a hunt with him. Metal Detecting is one of those hobbies with a bit of a learning curve, and your experienced friend can help you through that more quickly. You need to sing a detector and see what it's all about.

On 4/1/2024 at 3:46 AM, palzynski said:

Be careful about the detectors weight . Those old detectors have still performing electronics , but the electronics miniaturization has reduced the weights and recent machines can be much more cumfortable to swing than the older ones ..

For example a Whites spectrum weighs 1.6+kg , an Equinox1.3kg and  A Deus2 WS6 800g . Then there is a big difference between them if weight/detecting cumfort  is important for you...

It is something personal , some dont care about weight . Personnaly I do

On 4/1/2024 at 2:22 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I agree on the weight thing. If your younger, say under 50 than weight should not be a issue. Me .. when I got into the hobby I  did a lot of research on the type of hunting I was interested in, from this I made my detector choice. 

I went with the best I could find at the time (2008), I just feel I want to make the best of every moment I'm out.. even if it takes me a little longer to learn. And nothing wrong with the machines you have a opp to buy, but for a few more hundred you can get something modern.

All good suggestions here. The White's may be worth buying if I'm not sure I want to be super serious about the hobby, then I have something of my own. But I will definitely try out detectors my friend owns.

Weight can be an issue especially if the machine is not balanced well. The Spectrum I believe is fairly well balanced with the box under the cuff.