Equinox 900 And Sensitivity

Hi everyone.

Please can you help 🤔. I've not long had the Nox900 and I've read more than once to detect with the sensitivity as high as you can but does that not also make the machine more sensitive to iron. Sorry for the daft question. 

Yes it does, and you really have to listen to the different tones to the best of your ability to hear the tones of gold.

With my 800 I only set the sense just around 3/4 of the way up for best results.

Others out there who use the 900 can help you a little bit more than I can and I am sure they will chime in shortly.

I like to turn the sensitivity up until the machine gets noisy and then back it off until it calms down. In my soil I usually end up around 20 to 22. You can use the horseshoe button that notches out iron and also turn up the iron bias setting but by doing this you increase the possibility of missing some non ferrous targets.

Often times less is more.  The maxim to run Sensitivity as high as stability will allow is good if you take all the site's factors into consideration, not just EMI.  Things like mineralization, near surface trash density & depth of desirable targets that are diggable are equally important.  If you only need/can dig 6" targets or if trash density makes TID/audio erratic, dial it back to get smooth, understandable operation.  If you are in a clean, open field with little EMI & can dig to China crank it up.  It all comes down to a balanced approach.  You can gain confidence by testing 4, 6, 8, 10 inch & deeper coin targets with low sensitivity levels. It will teach you how much less is more than enough.

I normally adjust as high as I can without it going mental as a the chatter beeps are normaly a lot quieter than good signals. And then if you turn vibration on the handle for the areas ur most looking for then it alerts you to pay more attention  whilst zoning the chatter out

On 4/7/2024 at 1:57 PM, JohnI said:

I've read more than once to detect with the sensitivity as high as you can

It’s sad that you are seeing that even once because it’s terrible advice. It’s exactly like saying a car should only be driven at full throttle, full speed at all times. You are going to crash and burn. Why even have a sensitivity control at all if that advice were true?

From a common sense point of view, in clean ground dig a 4 inch deep hole and put a US penny size coin in it and see how much sensitivity it takes to get a good signal. You will be surprised how much you can find with that low of a setting. 

Practice for a while and then increase sensitivity.  

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s exactly like saying a car should only be driven at full throttle, full speed at all times. 

Somebody must have told my Wife that when she was very young and it has just stuck with her.

- Dave

Some people can handle a PI full bore at all times (not many though- and also not really advisable), but a VLF you can render essentially useless at very high gain, up to a point where you can't even hear anymore a quarter 1 inch deep.

GC

On 4/7/2024 at 10:57 PM, JohnI said:

Hi everyone.

Please can you help 🤔. I've not long had the Nox900 and I've read more than once to detect with the sensitivity as high as you can but does that not also make the machine more sensitive to iron. Sorry for the daft question. 

Here is a famous thread on the topic: