Equinox 800 Finally In The House

hawk

I finally received my Equinox 800.  First Impressions is that it is a deep seeking machine.  The Garrett 400 is ideal at 4-5 inches, the 800 goes much deeper in my soil.  Looking forward to learning the new unit on my "hunted out" yard.  I will keep everyone posted on my experiences.

First real hunt tonight in my yard produced Silver!  The last 2 nights were short trips trying to learn the unit.  I read Steve's beginners posts, Thank you Steve, and started in Park 2 auto ground balance 18 sensitivity and 2 tone.  I am coming off using the Ace 400 and the multi tones were too confusing.  Once I found the sweet spot on the coil and learned to pinpoint, the sweet spot there is the middle of the coil, I went on to 5 tones and adjusted pitch and volume to quiet the Equinox down so I could process what I was hearing.  The highest region was pennies to silver and everything else I quieted down around 10.  I swung and listened for the high squeak and started finding targets.  I first dug a memorial penny.  Then came a wheatie.  A short time later I heard a high squeak and saw 37 38 on the vdi.  I dug 10 inches down and found the silver handle of an old knife.  It is silver wrapped steel shaft.  First silver with the Equinox.  Right after that I picked up a clad quarter and had to call it a night.  First impressions from a relative newbie.  This unit is advanced and when you are coming from an Ace 400, it can be quite intimidating.  Can't swing the Equinox like an Ace 400.  The volume of sounds is amazing.  I just got the picture in my mind of what I was hearing and went from there.  I want to thank Cal Cobra for his video, it helped a lot during the first hunts and I want to thank everyone who reacted to my first post. It is great to know people are rooting for our success in hunting.  More to come.  Happy hunting everyone.

Mark

Glad to hear it's doing well for you Mark. :smile:

The Equinox from my perspective is relatively easy to get going with, but I have been reflecting on the fact that in reality there is a whole lot of detector there. For people who are newer to detecting I can see how it could actually be intimidating. Thankfully the defaults are some of the best I have ever seen in a detector so you really do not need to do much with settings to get great performance.