My 24K Finds, Posts & Comments

As many of you know I’ve been selling detectors for 20+ years and using them 2X the time.  The majority of US manufactures and a few out of country brands have allowed me to test some of their machines.  In years past I was quite happy and willing to do so, to help promote the hobby I love.  With the age of internet and email things started to change.  Then came forums and social media so everyone gets info with the click of a key the day someone makes a post.  That is good for many folks wanting to see the latest finds and which detectors are producing them.  I’m still all about sharing discovers and saves (when time permits).  But there are drawbacks as well to forums/chat groups and I try not to get caught up in the brand or model comparisons.  There’s a fine line as a tester to walk and one that I now do… with not as much desire.  It has nothing to do with wanting to test a detector, but actually dealing with and trying to keep people happy with my answers.  I’ve learned it is not possible and even the manufactures usually agree.

The folks who know me, realize my posts and comments about a product are usually in good taste as I respect each manufacture and their teams trying to come up with something better.  Competition among brands is what keeps each of them on edge and always trying to 1 up and it is not always about depth.  There are way more factors involved in determining performance of a detector and depth capabilities.  Have you ever read a statement from a manufacture that claims “guaranteed X amount of depth on a dime with this model, etc”?  No they won’t, as there are too many variables across the lands.  I’m here telling you the same thing.  I won’t make such bold statements as I too have learned each site and or nugget is different and unique. 

My comments are what I think and feel comfortable saying with the skill and knowledge I have acquired in the field.  Your abilities with the same machine could be better and or worse, but I won’t question it, as I can’t duplicate you, the site you are at or the exact target/depth etc.

In a few weeks or months there will be plenty of folks jumping on the internet sharing their good/bad experiences and making statements of what this new detector can or can’t do, see or hear.  Realize, some of the people saying such things may not be as good of a detectorist as someone else.  Their settings could be different and even is the same, their coil control might be off?  Either way, if everything they did was the same, their mindset could be different.  If you go into doing a test with negative thoughts, then you’ll surely find plenty of things to pick apart of any detector. 

My posts on the forums and chats will mainly be of sharing detector finds.  I might on occasion mention a feature I like of a detector and once in a while even drop a note about not liking something or wishing the next model/version be slightly different. I feel the majority of people want to see finds made with a detector and when they do that they realize it does perform.  The more we see finds of a certain model, the more it is accepted as a good unit, but ultimately only time will tell.

What I will not be posting is what size of gold at a certain depth the detector can stretch.  No I won’t be doing any GB-2 vs GMT vs GM-1000 vs 24K either.  After all, I am just 1 person and my time is also limited.  After all I have a business to run too…and mama always wants a bigger diamond ring.

Thanks for your understanding and I hope my comments/photos are inspiring.

24K2ndC.JPG

24Kshot3.JPG

Gerry, I always enjoy reading what you have to post and I believe you inspire newbies and well-seasoned individuals of the hobby that their is coins, jewelry, relics, nuggets and treasure in general to be found no matter what detector brand they are using. Ultimately it comes down to the individual on how well they know their detector and its limitations and then to use that knowledge in a productive area to have success.

Great post!!!

"Gerry, I always enjoy reading what you have to post and I believe you inspire newbies and well-seasoned individuals of the hobby that their is coins, jewelry, relics, nuggets and treasure in general to be found no matter what detector brand they are using. Ultimately it comes down to the individual on how well they know their detector and its limitations and then to use that knowledge in a productive area to have success."

That goes for me too Gerry, I think your contributions are very knowledgeable and fair. Genuine expertise is self-revealing, and we appreciate all that you do to help us and to promote the hobby.

Jim.