Chinavasion Metal Detector

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve:

Thanks for giving me the comfort that the Gold Bug Pro will work well in Africa. I will stick by your professional advise and go for two Gold bug pro. I believe that you and Adam can't be wrong to advise on two of same brand. More so, I told myself that I am using your eyes to buy the right detector.

One can argue the merits of different detectors endlessly. If detecting was your main and only goal a different alternative including a Minelab PI might be preferable. But it raises other problems - proprietary batteries, battery charging, battery cable failure, etc. avoided by going a less expensive and safer route. This may or may not be your best bet, but I think it is a safe and affordable bet. Good luck!

WOW !! I am getting goosebumps just reading this and I can only imagine the adventure/risks you guys are embarking on.There is a lot of individual and group talent on Steve's forum and it will serve you well as you begin this undertaking.God Speed and please keep us posted.

Gold Hound:

Thanks, I will get a submersible pump from here. They are quite affordable.

Don't buy a pump until you measure the diameter and depth to the water table of sample holes and check if they are sleeved.

Africa is not Australia and the vast majority of it is nowhere near as mineralized as Australia. Chris Ralph has made two trips to Africa and observed thousands of prospectors in the field using detectors. Almost none of them were Minelab PI detectors. Nearly all were VLF detectors, which run very well in most conditions there. There were many types in evidence but two extremely popular and well proven machines for the African gold fields have been the Teknetics T2 and Fisher Gold Bug Pro.

Any good VLF would work. I agree with Featheredfishead (Adam), get two of the same to share coils and other parts and learn one unit. The simple choice is the Gold Bug Pro, as there are many already in Africa. Parts should be common by comparison to most detectors. It will also make it easy to sell the machines and upgrade to a PI if your budget allows and if the need arises. Africa is a huge continent and there is no doubt many areas exist where a PI is the best choice.

No worries Steve

I have not been to Africa but one of my friends went to Sudan a few years ago and he tells me that it is generally med\high mineralization there.

That is what I based my advice off.

I like your advice. Not a matter of right and wrong, just opinions, and in this case more about fitting a budget. If I was not such a wussie about traveling to places with minimal legal systems I would say we had both just better get on a plane with our GPZs and head for Africa!

I think Africa is like early days Australia. There is so much surface gold even VLF detectors clean up. There was a lot of gold found with VLF detectors in Australia in the 1980s and the detectors were not even as good as what we have now. Eventually the easy stuff will be gone, and then the PI detectors will be more a necessity than an option.

I like your advice. Not a matter of right and wrong, just opinions, and in this case more about fitting a budget. If I was not such a wussie about traveling to places with minimal legal systems I would say we had both just better get on a plane with our GPZs and head for Africa!

I had numerous offer's to go to Sudan but when I found out off a friend that seved in the sas over there that a aus\uk\usa passport is worth over 1 million dollar's there and the whole country is controlled by different militants I decided against it!

Same goes for new guinea, I was offered a job to manage and desighn the plant in a large dredging operation over there, lucky I didn't go as 9 out of the 11 in the crew got brutily killed when the Rascal's robbed them.

The three places I will go to oneday are Mongolia, Alaska/Canada and Greenland

I love remote area's and the struggles and danger's assosiated with them, and of corse the gold!

Real life is always better then fiction. The stories the scars tell. I often make jokes about hitting Mongolia for its vast beauty and un-detected acres to my wife. But like Steve i'm a pussy when it comes to traveling to countries with shady governments then our own. Canada i will definitely visit and hopefully find some gold in later in life.