Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Australia 2019

mn90403

The biggest problem with the flies is that they gang together and lift your eyelids and start drinking the moisture from your eyes. They also see how many of their mates can join them in your mouth. If you want revenge you can use a electric zapper racket and feed them to the ants, if you can tolerate all the smoke from their fried bodies and wings.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, geof_junk said:

The biggest problem with the flies is that they gang together and lift your eyelids and start drinking the moisture from your eyes. They also see how many of their mates can join them in your mouth. If you want revenge you can use a electric zapper racket and feed them to the ants, if you can tolerate all the smoke from their fried bodies and wings.    

This fly was on my jacket sleeve one morning when I came out of tent.  Not sure exactly what it is, but geeze it sure is big and looks like it could suck some blood.  Any Aussies know its name?

DSCN1598.JPG

• Haha 3

A trip to a different country chasing gold would be a great experience. Depending on how long you had to spend on the ground I would say the best value you could have is to not worry about gold tours and simply spending the money saved on vehicle hire and either tent it or stay in a cabin at a caravan park. Or maybe hire a camper. I have many a trip to the outback and its great but thats spending months out there. If I had a shorter time Victoria would be the place as you have many choices of Goldfeilds and more to see in terms of old timer workings. 

Outwest it is just vast spaces with not much to see in terms of old timers. Victoria has prolific workings and you can simply drive into town for a meal. Easier and cheaper and more to see and do imo. More junk though but just as much potential for gold. At least you know yr in the gold zone as the workings and surfacing is all around. You will know it hasn't all been worked due to the lead targets you find. Out West the gold is spread out much more and the learning curve is much steeper. 

How long do you plan on going for? 

• Like 5

OzGoldAu,

Some people have different trips in mind.  They HAVE to go to WA.  It is not a requirement for me.

I like your trip idea.  My trip would be in the 3 week range.  I can rough it for 3-4 days and put in some long hours but then I need an internet connection!  That had been my plan but now I have to do a plan.  Life happens in a good way with lots of choices.

How many Yanks actually make it over there in a typical year looking for gold?

Can you find anything in WA with a week or two?

Mitchel