Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

A Question About GPZ Audio Response

Okay, this may be a seriously dumb question but if you don't ask you won't learn.

This is a quote from the original MineLab release describing the audio response on the 7000:

"For example, the audio response for small gold will be a low-pitched tone followed by a high-pitched tone. A ferrous signal such as a bottle cap will produce a high-pitched tone followed by a low-pitched one, enabling the user to discriminate the ferrous target."

Have you GPZ owners found that smaller gold does indeed signal with "a low-pitched tone followed by a high-pitched tone?"

Thank you for any info. you can provide from direct experience. 

Well.... no

i sometimes cherry pick hi-lows.

big nuggies come in sometimes as low-hi

trash is like a low-hi with sometimes a quick low.  Best place besides your own practice is to watch aussie gold hunters and listen.  You will see both and its fun to watch.  .  Or youtube channels can help too

Yes on the GPX, larger and/or deeper nuggets would come in low-high. I am asking if what was stated in the MineLab statement about the GPZ, that small gold gives a low-high response, is what people are finding. I had never heard that before until I saw that description as I was looking at some older Minelab literature around the original GPZ release.

It does in Difficult sometimes on the fly spit bits. Not always, but sometimes. Not in Normal except very rarely from my experience.

General will sometimes invert the signal or go wobbly on bits that HY sound normal on but not nearly as much as Difficult will do it, in some specific parts of NNV I remember almost all the sub1/4 gram stuff was low high in Difficult when the GPZ first came out and I was trying to figure out if any settings would kill the salt response. Then in other areas it was a mixed bag.

On the other topic, sometime in 2015 I had a topic about how it seemed possible to do a sort of rudimentary discrimination by switching from Normal to Difficult or something along those lines, I forget exactly now because it was too time consuming for a guy with such a short attention span as myself haha, just easier to dig em all or mentally discim them out some other way. But it's possible to tell with some degree of certainty better than 50/50 what is iron and what is gold by the signals inverting or not in various settings and combinations. This was why I kept hoping for user customizable quick change setting buttons on a software update back then. The geometery and size change the response a lot though, but for your general bits of coin sized rusty tin can slaw it's possible. And nails need not even switch, you can usually tell just by drawing the shape with the tip of the coil. Coils of wire and boot tacks go all warbly so you can selectively not dig those too if the gold in the area is generally not warbly and there are hundreds of tacks everywhere and again you are a guy like me with a very short attention span. I thought for sure there would be a software discrim update by now based on these observations and my assumption they too had realized this quirk long before I did, and had future plans for exploiting it. Anyways, now I'm just rambling.

• Like 1

I agree with JW - dig them all. 

I did find small lead shot was a consistent, rounded noise whereas tiny gold gave a similar noise but with a crackle to it.  Almost always knew when it was a less than 0.25 gram piece as it all sounded similar. 

But I also got gold that sounded exactly like lead shot.  

And 2 of my bigger pieces I was 100% that I was digging an old square nail.  

If you are trying to discriminate with a GPZ my feeling is you will be leaving gold behind.  JMHO  ?

• Like 5

13 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

"For example, the audio response for small gold will be a low-pitched tone followed by a high-pitched tone. A ferrous signal such as a bottle cap will produce a high-pitched tone followed by a low-pitched one, enabling the user to discriminate the ferrous target."

That was about as silly of a thing for Minelab to print as "Up to 40% deeper". As a general rule it my be correct but I have had some very nice gold make about every sound that the 7000 can produce , including the first line of Waltzing Matilda, and I have dug hundreds (Thousands?) of sure thing nuggets that were square and made of iron. I only try to discriminate with the GPX when I get lazy, which is most of the time, but I know better.

• Like 2

Everyone's input matches and clarifies what I have always done with the GPX and the GPZ - dig (mostly), everything. I have found gold with almost every sound the detector makes as well (except for waltzing Matilda) but decided to ask my kind-of-stupid question to get clarification from the forum inhabitants. 

Thank you all.

• Like 4

Ya Flak,  the gpz audio seems to be all over the place, especially in Difficult ground setting. Gold seems to give almost a confused grunt signal.  In Normal, I tend to hear a high low signal on all small targets ferrous or not.  At least that's what my ears hear.  I wonder if that was a misprint in the Minelab article?