MikePfeiffer

What Is Your Pick For Best Detector Or Manufacturer?

Started with the Excal so a big Minelab fan. I’m used to the tones of the Minelab’s so the new Equinox should be a perfect fit.

What manufacturer is on the leading edge? Minelab. I think the Equinox and the ProFind 35 with iron tone will be a deadly combo. The Equinox in particular is going to send the MSRP of all purpose machines across the board into chaos. 

What manufacturer needs a wake up call? It's hard to say because I don't know what they are working on behind the scenes right now. From what hints I do get it sounds like First Texas might be the best hope for something genuinely new in the U.S. I've been a Made in the USA guy almost from the start, and generally I feel all the manufacturers here have fallen behind by focusing too much on single frequency VLF for too long. I would say maybe Garrett if anyone needs a wake up call from outside appearances. Whites often gets grief for falling behind because they used to sit on the top of the heap, but sometimes I wonder if they are as far behind as we think. The V3i and VX3 are pretty advanced machines in my view. The MX Sport should've been the Equinox though. Instead it was a missed opportunity.

What is your favorite all purpose detector? This is difficult. I have a soft spot for First Texas, Particularly Fisher. I love the F75, from the ergonomics and aesthetics to the depth and speed. It's the machine I most regret parting with as I thinned my herd. I now use the Spectra V3i and MX Sport, but for the first time I'm tempted to walk away from American manufacturers for my go to machine and into camp Equinox. We shall see shortly.

I don't have a favorite prospecting detector as from what I understand there's not much gold to find in NY. For gold jewelry it's the V3i.

What do you wish manufacturers would incorporate into their machines? I would like to see a pinpointer that would adopt the machine's discrimination settings wirelessly. I would like to see LEDs embedded in machines for night hunting. I do like the target trace feature of the CTX and would like to see something better than it on the next First Texas flagship. I'd like to see folding shafts. I'd also like to see more accessories to personalize and customize our machines, like custom armrests and shafts with different designs, shapes, colors. I'd like to see more integration with smartphones.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Cipher, great post!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      Has anyone had any experience with these things? 

Electromagnetic and magnetic interferences could be extremely annoying when you are looking for that hard to find gold nugget. Most of the noise is picked up by the search coil but a significant level of noise is being picked up as well by the sensitive electronics inside the control box.
      The control box is made of aluminium therefore the magnetic field easily penetrates it.
      To prove that, approach a magnet to the right side of your detector when switched on. 
      Millions of less obvious noise signals are interfering with your detector.  
      We have developed this Shield from the best quality material primarily used in sensitive 
      medical and scientific electronics. After years of studying and testing different materials we have found this one ticks all the boxes. 
      I have revisited the places where I've previously cleaned up and found more gold after installing the shield.
      It is 0.35 mm thick, held firmly around your control box by the armrest and  the new improved version with dual layer shielding on the right side is only 175 g!
      We have tested it on the GPX 5000 with amazing results such as quieter threshold, better GB, resulting in slightly increased depth.
      The shield allows you to increase the Rx gain by a notch or two without compromising the threshold. Use Inverted Response when hunting for big deep nuggets. 
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGNETIC-INTERFERENCE-REDUCER-SHIELD-FOR-MINELAB-GOLD-DETECTORS/232594646908?hash=item3627b8a77c:g:8lEAAOSwYGFU0bvu
      I noticed it on Ebay today while I was looking for a cover for my GPX.
      I have noticed I've been able to quieten down my GPX by opening the control box up and scraping some paint away where the shielding touches the casing, on one end they had scraped away paint from one screw point during production, and the other end had no paint scraped away at all by the factory so it's sheilding was basically useless.  By scraping paint away from a few areas on each end of the detector I was able to give the GPX a bit of a noticable quieten down.  I am sure on later models Minelab would of scraped away more paint but as mine is a very early model made in Australia version this wasn't done.

• By Steve Herschbach
      We just went through a few years on constant releases of new prospecting detectors. And now the flood has subsided, with almost nothing on the horizon.
      There is the “any moment now” Makro Gold Kruzer, running at 61 kHz and waterproof to 15 feet. After that however it gets pretty thin.
      First Texas has new detectors in the works, but nothing rumored that is aimed specifically at prospecting this year, but maybe later. Right now a PI beach detector appears to be up next. Garrett - maybe they are working on it but personally I have given up waiting on a lighter weight ATX. Tesoro - nothing going to happen there obviously.
      Minelab still “owes” us GPZ owners a smaller coil but with Equinox occupying all their efforts....?
      Nok/Mak outside of the Gold Kruzer has been working on a PI for years, but absolutely no hints on it getting any closer to market.
      XP I thought might bring a version of the low cost DPR 600 to first world markets but no sign of it happening.
      And White’s? Who knows. Maybe we will see a repackaged GMT but the shine has worn off of repackaged detectors these days.
      Long story short is it often takes new detectors to stir up activity on forums. For now at least the future is looking pretty quiet. The good news is we can just focus on using what we already have to best effect without being tempted or distracted by new shiny toys! 
    • By oldmancoyote1
      Hi Steve:
      Just re-read your "Steve's Guide to Threshold, Autotune..."  It helped a lot.  Thanks.  
      I do have a question though.  I understand V/SAT.  It's about how fast autotune re-adjusts the threshold after encountering some disturbance like a target.  However, I'm unclear on how that relates to Ground Balancing and Tracking.  It sounds like they are the same.  Would you please explain that?
      Thanks
    • By wanderer
      What are some of the least expensive pi machines? Can used ones be found?
    • By vive equinox
      Hello , 
      It would be great if the youtubers like calabash and others  who have lot of followers make a video of that to share at maximum .
      - Take 12-15 differents coins of your country ( the coins you use all the day ) 
      -Make a pile (heap ?) with that coins ,like a little tower 
      -Keep this pile beetween your thumb and other finger .
      -Swing that in front of the coil , at 3-4 inches , the side of the coins ! 
      -Now try that with all the detect mode , not need to change factory presets ( maybe only the accept to 0,1,2 in field 2 ) , you are free to try differents settings later .
      -The only and important setting for the moment is to change frequency , try 5,10,15,20,40 and multi in each detect mode . Of course multi in the two beach and 20,40,mutli in gold .
      What is happening ?
      I know the results , but i want to know the result of the coins of USA,England, australia ,canada .... So please share your results in comments or video
      Make that with different detectors , if you have impact or deus or other who have various frequency , try to switch all frequency . 
      You can try that with HF white coil if you have , but ....

The conclusion is multi IQ obsolete the others single freq .   It is more or less to say what calabash said in his video .

We can debate of that .