Conserving Detected Dug Coins & Relics

On 3/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, JCR said:

The brand my local Ace Hardware carries is Loctite.  

On gilt, I would try lemon juice first after gently cleaning off any dirt. The Navel Jelly as a last resort on stubborn ones.

That's turned out to be my recipe as well for gilt buttons.   Still experimenting on other objects.

• Like 1

On old copper I prefer a mechanical approach. I let them dry slowly to prevent the top layers from separating, and the I prep them the same way I prep fossils: with tiny tungsten needles and scrapers, under a microscope. It's very laborious, but I don't find that much old copper and I like doing it. The results speak gor themselves, I think. 
60C3807F-51BB-4984-AEE4-C14B2E9E2F61.thumb.jpeg.12fa3e6ccf5ec53a5f877ca0413130ac.jpeg

38C9F214-B041-43E8-9649-513DB0B3CCD6.thumb.jpeg.ab44d497425834becce376043afc91e1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

• 7 months later...
On 4/8/2023 at 9:02 PM, SwiftSword said:

On old copper I prefer a mechanical approach. I let them dry slowly to prevent the top layers from separating, and the I prep them the same way I prep fossils: with tiny tungsten needles and scrapers, under a microscope. It's very laborious, but I don't find that much old copper and I like doing it. The results speak gor themselves, I think.

I guess it's the same effect as Andre Le Crayons, but on a more micro level eh?  It looks great compared to the before condition 😲

• Like 2