Sign in to follow this  
Mike Hillis

My Requirements For A Micro / Tiny / Small Jewelry Detector

Hunting tiny gold jewelry in inland sites is just so different from mainstream detecting methods that unless you do it you don't understand the requirements.    

#1.   EMI stability.   Your detector has to be stone cold stable.  No spurious noise.  None.  The signals you are after are small tight signals and you can’t hear them if your detector is making spurious noises.

#2.   The detector needs to be able to keep its HOTs at low gain/sensitivity settings because:

a... You need to be able to focus on the right depth of signals and those tiny signals are not deep.  Most of the time they are just down in the grass roots.   You want to focus only on the top three to four inches of depth.   If you have to run your sensitivity at or near max all you are doing is masking the desired signal response with reports from all the other signals surrounding it and below it.  And in cases where the ground minerals are high, the ground itself will mask the response.  

b... You need to control the coil foot print.  In this type of hunting you don’t want coil edge surface responses.  You only want to hear what is directly under your coil.   Concentric coils work better at this than DD coils.  DD coils are ok but you get better footprints with concentric and tighter readings on your meter.

#3.  The higher the operating frequency, the more important the above become.  As the operating frequency goes up, the level of discrimination goes down because the trash targets hit harder and sound better.   In other words, the higher the operating frequency the better the trash sounds and responds.

#4.  Notch discrimination or some other form of discrimination that will allow you to focus just on the signal range you are hunting.   The only range of signals you are interested in are in the ferrous/non-ferrous boundary range and the foil range up to maybe the nickel reading.   All other signals are distractions.

I'm editing to add a number #5.   Tiny signal audio boost is a big plus if it can be deployed while keeping original signal response integrity.  

I'll close with this.....You can take a gold prospecting unit onto a woodchip playground or a sand pit and as long as it can handle the EMI you can hunt with it on normal settings.  But if you are targeting sites  where good quality, tiny jewelry is most likely to be present, you will be working a lot of turf sites where a prospecting detector's normal feature set isn't going to be very helpful. 

HH

Mike

• Like 6

Great concrete advice - based on experience.  I know you aren’t into PI’s, but consider this.

The Manta PI, which is now in the process of final development by Fisher might make an interesting tiny gold finder.

It has a very short minimum pulse delay - 8μ seconds or so.  that should make it able to detect all but the tiniest gold, especially at the shallow depths you are talking about.  The sensitivity is variable and it ID’s or excludes all but huge ferrous as well as high conductors. the set point for that control is variable. 

The testing up to now of this device has been pretty  Much at the beach because it is designed to be a killer on gold in salt water.  It hasn’t - as far as I know - been tested in the environemnts you are talking about.  I suspect with the correct adjustment of controls it might prove a killer in the grass and in tot lots.

Maybe Fisher should let you test it for that.

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

Anything can hunt a tot lot,   If you want to hunt tiny targets in a tot lot, just get a normal high frequency gold prospecting unit and have at it.  Totlots and sand lots you dig everything just because you can, its easy to dig everything.

Turf is where the restriction is at.   You can't dig everything in turf and you don't want to dig everything in turf.   It will look like the top of Hacksaw Ridge in a very short period of time if you try to dig everything in these turf spots.  

I had a Whites TDI for a season.  The two biggest drawbacks I had with the TDI was 1)  it lumped small non-ferrous and small ferrous targets together.   I couldn't tell a paper staple from an earring.   and 2) the ridiculous coil control it required to keep the ground from responding.   As long as the ground was flat and I kept the coil 3 inches or higher off the ground I had a silent detector but in uneven ground every irregularity made it report, which resulted in having to keep the coil even higher off the ground and, if I didn't keep my mind in the game, staying on top of identifying what was sounding off, the ground or a target,  I could end up chasing a ground surface irregularity like it was a target.   It did work well for high conductors, however.

So....the Manta PI would need to have small ferrous rejection, (no staple responses) with some form of ground balance to kill the surface irregularity responses, and some form of discrimination to limit what reports.    8 ns is extremely low and will be somewhat like hunting with a high frequency VLF.   Everything is going to report.   There will need to be some low conductive non-ferrous discrimination.   The only way you can do non-ferrous discrimination like this with a PI is by measuring multiple PI pulse delays:   Hits at 8 ns, still hitting at 11 ns, don't give an audio response.  Hits at 8 ns, decay is complete by 11 ns, give an audio response or a meter reading or whatever.   Last I checked they haven't started making these yet where you can dial in a bottom and a top pulse delay range.  

As of now the Whites V3/V3i is the only detector on the market today that can kind of do that by comparing the 22kHz and the 3kHz signals real time so that you can see and compare the results at the same time.   22kHz screams on everything,  the 3 kHz say mass, no mass.  Audio signal gives target size hints    However their coils aren't really built with a tight enough null so there is an inherent limitation to signal size beyond frequency limitations.  But it works.

If Fisher gets something designed that can hunt that environment I would be happy to prove it.

HH

Mike    

• Like 1

Good view, Mike..., at Spectra is a dimensionally good-sensitive and stable Vrated and Emi resilient coil - it is the foundation for this detector ... For example 6x4 shooter is low RX gain is1050266751_iphoneMarec52018013_DxO.jpg.98e7e245d11bb7b5273ab94ebacc511b.jpg low sensitive to small things ...

well there are also differences in range at different frequencies and multi 3F

iphone 5S marec 6 001_DxO.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback Mike.  By the end of the year, I hope, you might get a chance to play with one!

Thanks Rick.  Maybe so.  Maybe not.   I got a call from someone's shipping department a couple of weeks back wanting to send me something.  I was busy and focused on the task at hand only listening with half an ear and declined shipment.   I don't even know who it was that called or what company they were with.   I think I thought it was a phishing scam to get my info and in any event I was in a hurry to get off the phone and not loose my focus.  

El Nino77, that is some work you have done.  I'll have to take some time to review it closer than I have.  

HH
Mike

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By dewcon4414
      there had been a good bit of discussion about silver and the Nox not doing well if they were on edge....... which was part of the new update.    I played around with the two programs..... again air testing gold.....and i got a bit of a surprise that i should have known.    The gold rings i tested on the two programs....... again tested about the same depth wise and i was using thinner ones.    I found holding a ring flat....... OR with the ring horizontal (more of the ring surface) going across the coil i got almost identical depth.   Unlike the silver coins.   But........ running that same ring vertical (having a smaller surface) i lost at least half the depth.   So you see how the coil is seeing targets...... it can be thin and long, but if it runs vertical to a horizontal coil it sees it as a small target.   So..... on some chains where it see not only the links....... but now also how that chain is laying can matter because it sees less of the chain.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      “Ships that washed ashore on Dog Island during the 1899 Carrabelle Hurricane were unearthed completely by Hurricane Michael's vicious storm surge last week in Franklin County, Florida.
      Of the 15 ships that were grounded on the barrier island during the storm 119 years ago, it's unclear which or how many were unearthed by Michael.”
      Rad the rest of the story here

• By phrunt
      Warning: Pull up a comfy chair and grab a coffee! 
      We decided being school holidays we would take our daughter for a camping trip, up to near KiwiJW's house at my summer sluicing area.  The main reason for the trip was it's coming to the end of ski season and the camping location is only a short drive to the two ski fields we had a season pass to access. 
      I packed my Equinox 800 with both coils, T2 with Mars Tiger and GPX 4500 with NF Evo 14x9 for the trip anticipating a lot of metal detecting opportunities.
      The first week was very busy skiing, we had perfect weather with the only rainfall I can remember happened overnight one night which caused a dump of about 12 inches of fresh snow over the ski fields so we can hardly complain about that. 
      After the snow storm the Avalanche risk went up significantly and due to all the extra snow they extended the ski season another couple of weeks.  This was a bit disappointing but good at the same time as I was waiting for the ski fields to close as I've had good luck finding coins under the lifts last season.

Considerable avalanche risk, we did see the leftovers of an avalanche the next morning but I didn't have my phone with me to take a photo.  It could be one the ski field caused as they bomb the hillside overnight sometimes if they think there is a big risk.

My wife didn't really like all the extra snow the morning after the overnight dump as they hadn't yet groomed it so the ski field was a bit wild.  However by the next day it was all back to it's usual self.

I went metal detecting most nights to the beach front of the lake.  I was digging up a lot of coins, mostly modern coins but a few really old NZ coins and a number of foreign coins, mostly American and British coins but some odd looking coins that I suspect are Asian.

A couple of American coins and a British pound, I ended up finding a few pounds as they came up the same VDI numbers as NZ Gold Coins. 

Some old NZ coins.  I got quite a few of these, most of them come from where the water meets the land on the lake, whereas most other coins were always further up on the beach.

Some more unusual coins and an old 1810 necklace bit of bling.  It's some religious thing about Mary.  The ring I suspect is just junk and that was my first Australian gold coin of many more to come.  The funny shaped coin is an old Queenstown Gondola Coin.  I don't know much about it or why they have coins. 

One of the many American dimes I found.
      I was fortunate enough to find 5 rings on the trip, one of which is a Lord of the Rings gold ring which appears to be worth quite a bit of money, it weighs 15 grams and after doing my research it appears to be the 14k gold ring as it weighs approx 15 grams.  They don't put gold hallmarks on the rings unless the purchaser requests it to keep it authentic to the movie.  Also it has the engraving on the inside and outside which costs more, it seems it's possibly worth $2,654 NZD
      https://www.jenshansen.co.nz/collections/movie-rings/products/yellow-gold-elvish-love-ring

This was the nights take when I found the Gold Ring

I called it early after finding the ring to go back to my Poptop Caravan to tell my wife of my find.   This started to get her and my daughter interested in trying detecting so the next day we hit the lakefront in a quiet area where no people were during the daytime

It was only about 30 minutes after my wife took this photo my daughter decided to take her Go-Find 40 onto the rocks in the background, neither of us were paying attention as my wife was on my T2 and I was on the Nox detecting around and she took a tumble and landed in the water, the Go-Find was submerged but she quickly turned it off and ran over and said what happened.  I was pleased she turned it off quickly and had no idea how she knew to even do that but I took the batteries out of it and we jumped in the car with it hanging out the car window to dry it out, then we went back to the Caravan and put it in a plastic bag with about a kilo of rice in it and left it overnight.  By morning I was game to try turn it on so I put in the batteries and fired it up, worked a treat, no issues at all.
      The next day after skiing my wife wanted to try metal detecting again so we went to another quiet section of the lakefront, these were the finds that day 

I like the coin with the dude with the glasses, no idea what country it is but I know if I wore glasses and was going to be put on a coin I'd be throwing on some contact lenses 🙂
      My wife got a couple of NZ gold coins with the T2 and also the little silver ring that's a bit buckled up, I straightened it up as good as I could as it was worse than that originally.  I found the dolphin ring with the Equinox, it came up solid numbers which was a surprise as I'm sure at some point I'd seen a video of someone finding a similar ring which was a bit wild on the numbers due to the two dolphins and the way they join.  My daughter never did find anything with the Go-Find but that's no surprise, it's hard to use a detector without VDI numbers in a place that has so many bottle tops and pull tabs as you spend all your time digging them.

This was my next night detect on the lakefront, I got quite a lot of older coins that night as I'd already mostly cleaned up that area other nights of the modern gold coins.

The view from the lakefront where most detecting took place.
      I found two cell phones on the night detects, one I didn't get a photo of as my daughter claimed it for a toy but it was an I-Phone 5 with a smashed screen, it works fine but wants a password to get into it.  The other phone is a Chinese android phone and also works fine although it also has a broken screen.  Both phones were buried in the lakefront gravel.

I ended up finding 4 sets of keys but didn't bother with photos of junk.

One of the two ski fields finally closed as they didn't have enough staff to stay open with a majority of the staff being from overseas and they had already booked flights to the Northern hemisphere for working at the Ski fields there.  The snow was getting pretty thin on the lower part of the mountain where the beginners area is also which would have forced the close.  We drove on up and all three of us gave detecting on the beginners magic carpet area a go.  We picked this area as beginners fall over the most and are most likely to lose coins falling over 🙂  My daughter lost interest pretty quick and ended up reading books on her kindle most of the day.

The Equinox was getting some gold coins at stupid depths, I wasn't able to get photos as my phone was flat and charging isn't easy when you are in an unpowered camping area and your Caravans battery goes flat, mainly because I forgot to charge it before we left so it just had charge leftover from last summer.
      I am sure I was digging gold coins in snow at about 45 cm sometimes, way deeper than I can get in air tests, I can't understand why this happened, the Nox just liked the snow and ice.
      Here was the take from the day, the $10 note was just sitting there in some melting snow.

We then went up for another ski for our final day at the other ski field which extended another week, no doubt using some staff from the one that closed as they're both owned by the same company.

This is how it looked first thing in the morning, pretty neat with the clouds below.  The drive back down later in the day was just as nice, KiwiJW's house is just out of view to the left in this photo.  I couldn't get a photo of his spot as a lump in the mountainside got in the way blocking the view of his area from where I parked.

The next day was showing my daughter some gold mining history in the area by taking her to old chinese gold miners huts

They are pretty cool to see, I detected for a bit in the area but the black sand was too much for the Equinox and I had to block out VDI's -9 to 10 to get it running stable so gold was going to be out of the question, I think I only found one coin.
      It snowed a bit on us, but nothing too major on the ground, it all mostly landed up higher

The next day was skiing again but JW sent me a message asking if we wanted to come over for a BBQ, my wife had a friend visiting so that seemed a great excuse for me to escape that and go visit JW so off I went, and to my surprise he had his Jet boat ready to go for a spin so off we went, really awesome fun, love the little thing, it goes like a rocket. We went for an hour or more but it was  starting to get dark so we had to head back, the water was so clear even in the really deep bits you could see the bottom perfectly.  I took too long to decide to get a video so it was starting to get dark when I took it.
      Another day came and a rainbow formed over the area where JW's taken me before to find some nuggets so I went off with the Nox and 6" to try find more nuggets high up in the workings above the creek.

This is my favourite sluicing creek where we parked up our Caravan
      I ended up never finding the workings and got myself quite lost in the dense bush above the creek, it was starting to get dark and I was hoping to make it out before dark.  I eventually found my way down to the creek and got myself out of there.  I did find lots of old stacked rocks and detected around them but had no luck on the gold.

Another day came and another message from JW asking if we wanted to pop in for a BBQ, this was the last day of our trip and my Dad's Birthday so the BBQ was once again out which is unfortunate but I did manage to get to visit as the ski field had to close as the road up to it had far too much ice from a big freeze overnight.  My daughter was very upset as she misses the last day of skiing for the season so my wife took her 10 pin bowling and to a movie as an alternative source of fun while I visited JW.
      The weather cleared up about midday so we went detecting with JW on his Zed and me on my 4500, JW managed to score 7 bits and I continued my skunk getting nothing.  I was really struggling with hot rocks in this location digging about 50 of the damn things, they gave me a good signal so I kept digging them, some of them tiny, the size of a small nugget.  I was getting annoyed at the things and couldn't work out how to ground balance them out.  I guess I have to learn the different sound they make on the GPX over gold as at my ability level I just have to dig everything.
      Our total finds from the trip, a majority with the Equinox but my wife managed about $10 of it with the T2.

I promised my daughter earlier in the trip she could keep all the gold coins I found expecting to find about $20, I was wrong, We ended up finding just under $150 in modern coinage so she bought herself a tablet with the money, big smiles!!!

Disclaimer : This post is probably full of errors and the days all mixed up, I'll fix it when I get time, still unpacking and sorted stuff out from the trip 

• By davsgold
      Congratulations to Simon (phrunt) for getting in the treasure hunting success find of the month in the Minelab site. ☺️

https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/success-stories/recruited-to-try-find-lost-wedding-ring-in-a-huge-paddock

cheers dave
    • By JP.Diggzzit
      Hit this deep, 10 gram Platinum ring on the beach recently.  Initial signal was a faint, choppy tone, jumpy 12/13 ID.  After the 1st and 2nd scoops the signal went to negative #'s and gave me the iron tone.  After the 3rd scoop the signal was gone.  I utilized pinpoint mode thereafter and recovered the target after the 5th scoop.  Solid 13 out the hole.  Wet sand was hard packed so I don't believe the target was moving or sinking, no water filled the hole.  Has anyone else experienced an initial good target going to negative #'s/iron readout?  Halo effect on non-ferrous?  Positive this target was at the brink of detection range...14" - 15" inches.  Impressive depth but I will not trust that iron reading/tone if it is mixed with a positive reading/tone going forward. 
      I run Beach 2 with no discrimination almost exclusively on the beach.
      GL & HH!

• By phrunt
      Disclaimer: I've only really been interested in Gold hunting so I'm pretty clueless in using my Nox for jewellery hunting.
      This might be a challenging one, a farmer I knows wife lost her wedding ring in a paddock and didn't realise,  Later the same day they run a plough or some sort of farming gadget over the paddock as they planted it out with grass seed so the ring is likely buried.  They're pretty certain it was lost in this paddock.
      I have been recruited to try find this ring, it's 24k gold with about 20 diamonds on it.  The guy originally gave me the wrong description of the ring, probably his ex-wife's ring he described as he said it had 1 diamond and sapphires 😄
      The paddock is really junk filled, I went and swung my detector over it yesterday morning before skiing and there was iron I assume setting the detector off everywhere in all metal mode.
      I know the VDI numbers are extremely useful for coin hunting but will they help for finding this ring, I really don't want to have to dig everything! Is there a range I should be targeting? I assume Field 1 will be the best mode or maybe Park 1 seeing there is a lot of junk?
      Small gold when prospecting always comes up under 10 on the VDI's, I am guessing a ring will come up higher? 
      Would the Equinox be my best choice or would I be better off using my T2 with Mars Tiger 10x13" or 15" round Stock T2 coil for more ground coverage? I also have a Garrett Euroace with Nel Tornado 12x13" I could use if that would be best.  That's the biggest coils I own.
      I have a GPX 4500 with a 15x12 DD Commander I could use but I don't want to dig lots of junk and I was hoping VDI's would be useful.
      I told them I'd do the hunt for nothing when they tried to pay me as it's a bit of fun for me anyway but they said they can't allow that and they'd give me a few sheep for my freezer for my efforts even if I don't find it but I'm sure if I find it they'll force me to take some sort of payment, I will try refuse as I really don't want it but it will be difficult to not take it when they're forcing it....
      The paddock is about 3 hectares!!!!!  Just over 7 acres so I really have a job ahead of me.  The soil is extremely mild but it seems to have its share of junk.  I assume rusty old nails and tractor bits and mower blades whatever else over the years.
      Any help appreciated.