Golden Mask Telescoping Shaft Rebuild

Hmmm, that was kind of dumb of me. I thought nothing about how that ring so close the coil might cause problems, all I thought at the time was that having it there would make for a stronger connection. I’ll have to cut mine off with a dremel tool since it’s all epoxied together now. The next one up should be no issue, or at least it was not on my original.

• Haha 1

Thanks Steve, I had been thinking the same regarding it being a good connection.  I'll be removing mine too.  It's a great conversion for me otherwise.  I go backpacking with my detector often. 

It’s not quite the issue a person might assume. Metal in close proximity to a coil is largely ignored as long as it is not moving. Detectors back in the good old days had metal coil bolts! But still, best to keep metal away from the coil as much as possible. The original Golden Mask rod had the lower most knurled knob removed for this very reason. Good catch, and thank you. 👍🏼

• Like 1

The easiest solution is to get one of the GM1000 broomstick rod repair extras that comes with the monster. I just put tommy tape on the lower for the time being. Best would be a 2 piece thin plastic insert that would allow the monster repair piece to exact fit to the lower rod. And yes I am going to replace the metal hose clamps with the plastic type, they were not available in my area, special order type stuff. Thanks for the idea Steve, this rod will be the way to go....at 50 bucks its a bargain.

P7050002.JPG

P7050001.JPG

P7050003.JPG

• Like 1

I ordered another yoke and am going to buy another telescoping shaft to do my 800. This can be done without altering any of the original equipment. That telescoping shaft is the answer to the question I never thought to ask. Makes everything backpack/easy transport ready.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, Guys

Still waiting for the shaft to turn up, international postage is really slow at the moment.

Dsrtdawg, nice set up mate!

I really like all of the collapsible mods everyone is developing, I have the monopod on the way too, I'm trying to think of ways to make it even more compact, got a couple of idea's that may work, but will require a bit of custom fabrication.

I really don't understand why ML doesn't make all of their detectors with shafts that collapse into compact easy to store units, without the need for disassembly to do so.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve, guy's 

The shaft finally turned up from the Ukraine.

This covid has made a mess of international postage, not at all the sellers fault.

Im happy with the quality and function of it and the components will directly swap over to your monopod (which I also bought) Steve, so if I break the shaft I have a cheap replacement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Steve have you seen or heard of this company. Pretty much like a golden mask rebuild for the Equinox but it comes with a mounted piece the connects the control pod to the mount with provided screws in the package and the mount wraps around the shaft. I found the perfect distance for myself with it and epoxied the mount but it didn't need it I just did it for extreme security I guess. But then as stated the pod screwed down to the mount. Extremely light. Extra strong and sturdy and honestly the twist cams on this baby are awesome and allows for supper easy packing cause you can turn coil sideways. Also it is absolutely the only shaft you'll need for underwater hunting, beach, field. Or whatever. Truly best I have ever seen. And they're just now taking off and being posted on Instagram and Facebook. Not to mention the best arm cuffs available. I mean if you don't want them breaking. Well these and the Detect-Ed arm cuffs. They're both metallic. The yoke has some sort of fastened foam cushions for the coil ears. Which I like way better. I don't feel like I might break it swinging it. I think some of you guys will appreciate this one. 

Screenshot_20200926-025033.png

Screenshot_20200926-025012.png

On 6/22/2020 at 9:39 AM, Gold Hound said:

Hi Steve, guys.

Nice work on adapting the mono pod Steve!

I've been wanting to up grade the shaft to make my equinox more compact for hiking, car storage and travel. I only use mine for gold or treasure, no beach work for me so the colapsable telescope design is perfect. After looking around I ordered this Shaft:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lightweight-Telescopic-Carbon-Fibre-Shaft-for-Minelab-Equinox-600-800-MD/353092024374?hash=item5235ecb836:g:RCwAAOSwztde0qvA

It looks ok to me, I'll report back on what its like.

And I figure if it is flimsy or I break it I will use the parts and adapt the same mono pod as you Steve.

Oh I didn't see this post before I posted that post to the particular thread this shaft is amazing I got one there killer they rotate so you can lock it inside rotation for easy packing this is amazing detector you can use it for diving field beach whatever you want this is going to be the most lightweight and very sturdy strong detector shaft you will ever get for the Minelab Equinox and it comes with a mount I mean everything included is the best one I've ever had and I've had them all literally