Arm Cuff Fix

Lost Scout

Love the box 800 but...the arm cuff is lacking. To big for both my wife and I. It allowed for to much side wobble while swinging. My fix on one is 3/8" felt with cloth glued on. Leather ties keep it in place and can be removed for other users if needed. I needed just a little more room so a 1/4" piece was used. MUCH better.

Because of her short arms I also drilled a new hole to move the cuff closer to the handle. Basic ergonomics. Now she is comfortable and will detect for hours.

KIMG0330.JPG

KIMG0329.JPG

• Like 6

I agree. I like your solution.

I don't use the strap on my 600, because I find it unnecessary. The detector is light, and I like to be able to operate without the strap. It makes it so much quicker to place the detector on the ground while digging.

I'm a big guy but, just like you, I found the cuff a bit loose. My solution was to glue a strip of  neoprene on top of the factory padding. The cuff fits much better now, and the extra padding adds comfort.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Never used a strap either, I like just setting the detector down and digging/pinpointing. Been using 1/4" sticky back neoprene myself, cut to size. Stuff wears like iron.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Newer used the strap either - but 3D printed a slightly smaller cuff, which holds up fine since 3-4 years. It's a downloaded version.. I always wanted to design a completely new one with different diameters, but been too lazy 🙄

To create a shorter distance between grip and elbow cup, an alternative is to drill a new hole for the control box. It can be moved back 20mm comfortably, which is the equivalent to moving the elbow-cup forwards one position. Up to 23mm back is possible before the original hole becomes uncovered and it starts looking less pretty.
The hole diameter is 9.0mm ( the same as that for both elbow-cup holes ), I recommend using a drilling guide to make the hole, eg. an aluminium / plastic plate with the correct size hole in it to ensure the drill bit stays on-target. I think drilling the hole slightly under-size, and taking the time to open it out to 9.0 by hand-filing is worth the effort. This then allows you to make sure the hole is centred exactly right. Something like 8.0 - 8.5mm would seem appropriate.
For you US folks, 5/16" is 7.94mm; 11/32" is 8.73mm.
  • Like 1