Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

GPX 17 Coil Commentary

7 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Hey Vic (and G), I have a couple questions.  Vic, what was the target size?  Vic and G, do you think that because the DD should smooth out the threshold/EMI/ground that you were able to hear subtle repeatable targets or was the threshold still a little chattery but the target signals was obviou

Hi FON,

I was told the target was a largish piece of lead (maybe an oz) at 400mm, it & other targets was buried many years ago by a very experience local detectorist - now i have recovered a .5gram nugget at about this depth (same as JP) at Tibooburra NSW (desert country) with the 11 inch coil so i was very  surprised i could not pick it with the 11 and 17 inch mono coils on the 6000 but the DD 14 inch signal was clear as a bell. We had 2  6000 machines with us and both achieved the same results.  Also the 11 and 17 inch coils did not sound overly unstable - only when you put them up in the air could you tell you were in a high EMI area. After the testing we went detecting - I kept the DD coil on and could go right up to an electric fence without hearing the pulsing  - my mates with the 7000 and the 6000 with mono coil had to stay well clear of the fence as it made their machines very unstable.

JP and Steve - thank you for sharing your insights and contributions. Makes me realise i need to understand the environment and ground better to make the correct coil & setting choices. Nothing beats experience.

Also i have a unsubstantiated but credible rumour (apologies if this has already been report) that Minelab has already given a 3rd party permission to design and make coils for the GPX6000.

• Like 6

JP, I have had tennis elbow a couple of times in the past, I purchased an elbow "sleeve" I guess you would call it. It took some time but eventually ( within months ) it healed and have not had problem's for a long time.  The tightness and heat to the elbow it provided is what helped me. Hope you get better. 

• Like 2