MXT Coils & Tuning For Coins

tvanwho

16 hours ago, glacialgold said:

@auminesweeper

Excellent advice, thank you! 

Do you know if there's a goood rechargable battery pack still available for the MXT? I've seen some available on ebay, etc., but wasn't sure if those are viable options. Alternatively, I can just run 8xAA rechargables in the magazine...but would prefer a single plug-in option.

Agreed on all points above. Only have the 10x6 coil for now, but my plan is to take the machine out over sites I've "worked out" with the Nox and Legend and see what it pulls out of the ground.

On the rechargeable battery tray for Whites, there is a post by @chiil in @Jeff McClendon's thread on the DFX that recently bumped back up for some using Li-ion 18650s. I am going to see about getting one so I don't have to worry about leaking alkalines.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JCR said:

On the rechargeable battery tray for Whites, there is a post by @chiil in @Jeff McClendon's thread on the DFX that recently bumped back up for some using Li-ion 18650s. I am going to see about getting one so I don't have to worry about leaking alkalines.

If you do a search for the Whites TDI SL I did a 9 Cell Battery Tray Conversion to boost the Battery power over 12v, and If you get some NiMh 2800/3200s then that will give you a longer run time than the Whites Factory NiMh pack ever did, From memory I think the factory pack was around 2200/2500mah but don't hold me to that coz it's been a while since I posted it here, Ok.

Good Luck.

• Like 2

I also have a new to me mxt 300, 

It has the 12" coil and seemed to get a lot of multiple targets,  I would dig and find pull tabs and a 1941 quarter dollar and sometimes nothing. I'm thinking the ground is heavily mineralized, would another coil help with the heavy mineralized ground 

Thanks for any help

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, serioussam said:

I also have a new to me mxt 300, 

It has the 12" coil and seemed to get a lot of multiple targets,  I would dig and find pull tabs and a 1941 quarter dollar and sometimes nothing. I'm thinking the ground is heavily mineralized, would another coil help with the heavy mineralized ground 

Thanks for any help

You can still use the 12" coil in junk filled sites, The key to using that coil is to turn down the Gain to around 6 to 8 and give the Coil a chance to see whats in the Ground, Maxing out the Gain with big or Small coils is a bit like Driving in the Fog with your headlights on Highbeam, Dip the Power and trust the machine, The 12" coil is very powerful when used correctly Also never fret when you turn the Gain  down on the MXT's because the Gain control does not work like any other detector,

As you turn the Gain up on an MXT you will hear it click, I call it Changing Gears because every time it clicks it multiplies the Gain  IE On Low it is 1X and the Next click it is 2X and the Next Click it is 4X and the Next Click it is 8X and on the 5th click it is runing at 16X, These Click are Boosting the return signal So never be affraid to turn the MXT around 6 to 8+/-.

I know we all have our set/preferred ways of using Detectors but if you turn it down it stops the FOG and allows the Coil/MXT to see good Targets lying close to bad targets,

Hope that helps, Good Luck.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

You can still use the 12" coil in junk filled sites, The key to using that coil is to turn down the Gain to around 6 to 8 and give the Coil a chance to see whats in the Ground, Maxing out the Gain with big or Small coils is a bit like Driving in the Fog with your headlights on Highbeam, Dip the Power and trust the machine, The 12" coil is very powerful when used correctly Also never fret when you turn the Gain  down on the MXT's because the Gain control does not work like any other detector,

As you turn the Gain up on an MXT you will hear it click, I call it Changing Gears because every time it clicks it multiplies the Gain  IE On Low it is 1X and the Next click it is 2X and the Next Click it is 4X and the Next Click it is 8X and on the 5th click it is runing at 16X, These Click are Boosting the return signal So never be affraid to turn the MXT around 6 to 8+/-.

I know we all have our set/preferred ways of using Detectors but if you turn it down it stops the FOG and allows the Coil/MXT to see good Targets lying close to bad targets,

Hope that helps, Good Luck.

It only seemed to work good with gain down really low, I have been running in coin/jewelry 

1 minute ago, serioussam said:

It only seemed to work good with gain down really low, I have been running in coin/jewelry 

Well in that case I would say you need a DD like the 6x10 or the 10" Round one, But don't forget the 6x8 and the 10x12 S.E.F coils because they seem to work better than most Coils in hot soils,

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

Well in that case I would say you need a DD like the 6x10 or the 10" Round one, But don't forget the 6x8 and the 10x12 S.E.F coils because they seem to work better than most Coils in hot soils,

Thanks for all the help 

• Like 1