My Fix For The GPX 6000 Headphone Jack Cover

Yes, that little rubber door constantly opens, letting dirt in. I tried sawing the little protruding lip off, but it still opens. I never use plug in phones now anyway, so I came up with this fix. The GPX 6000 port is the same as the port on the Equinox. A small 1/8" jack can insert directly, though it must be the proper type to cut the main speaker out. Otherwise the headphones and speaker both run. Or you can use the official Minelab adapter dongle that both keeps the connection watertight, while converting to 1/4" jack size. Headphone Adaptor Cable 3.5mm (1/8-inch) to 6.35mm (1/4-inch) Part No. 3011-0369

The Equinox plastic port plug will also plug the GPX 6000 port - Part No. 0703-0348 - Cap, M12x1 Headphone Connector. I cut a hole to fit right through the rubber door, and screwed the cap in. Problem fixed, and if I do want to plug in headphones, I only have to take the plug back out.

minelab-gpx-6000-battery-door-mod-herschbach.jpg

Steve had already mention to me that he loved the idea of a lightweight detector. He really did not want to add  any additional weight that a cover might add.  I understand his thinking on this subject.  Although my complete cover set only weighs 8 ounces.

But that threaded port screw is very clever. 

Doc