Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

1 hour ago, fi4451 said:

Well, I'll join the club of GPX 6000 owner with issues.  I bought mine new when they first came out. I knew from the start my coil wasn't the best, but I  kept it for 6 months (wayyy touch sensitive).  Minelab replaced my first coil with a new one and what a difference!  Much better.  Recently, my detector speaker would not work, but detector still works when paired to the headsets (so it still was usable).  I turn on the detector, and no sound...only works with headsets.

I know of another guy that had the same problem where the speaker completely stopped working.  He's had it repaired already in the USA a few weeks ago.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

• 8 months later...

I also had issues with my GPX6000. It started squireling and chirping a very annoying noise that made it impossible to detect. I sent it in(at my cost to the Minelab repair center in Illinois. Evidentially my machine was earmarked by Minelab as possibly having internal issues tied to my serial number! I am still under warranty, so they replaced the entire internal guts. I am surprised that Minelab didn't pick up the shipping cost($136.00) plus. Since this I have learned that several other detector friends have had the same issues. Does Minelab have a quality control team to look into this matter? Is there a way to get reimbursed shipping costs ? 

1 hour ago, Nuggethunter70 said:

Since this I have learned that several other detector friends have had the same issues. Does Minelab have a quality control team to look into this matter? Is there a way to get reimbursed shipping costs ? 

It was a widespread problem that they weren't aware of when the detector was released, only after a year or more did they establish that it was a problem with enough feedback from users so unfortunately it was missed during the testing of the detector.   I don't think they're obligated to pay shipping costs, as their warranty is a return to base warranty, and the problem was never a "recall" as there are other implications if they did that such as having to pay for shipping.  

It's unusual they would replace your entire PCB, generally they repair them.   Either way, you'll be happy now that it's fixed, the machines really good once fixed up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

It was a widespread problem that they weren't aware of when the detector was released, only after a year or more did they establish that it was a problem with enough feedback from users so unfortunately it was missed during the testing of the detector.   I don't think they're obligated to pay shipping costs, as their warranty is a return to base warranty, and the problem was never a "recall" as there are other implications if they did that such as having to pay for shipping.  

It's unusual they would replace your entire PCB, generally they repair them.   Either way, you'll be happy now that it's fixed, the machines really good once fixed up.

@Nuggethunter70 Yeah, I posted a video on Phrunt’s original thread about this finally being mentioned by Minelab about the same issue. It would become unstable when it was running the speaker, but then would quiet down when using a Bluetooth speaker. It was fixed quickly be Minelab’s contractor and they also replaced my cracking coil.

I am very happy with mine, getting tiny lead specks and it is sensitive to .08gm pieces of gold I stuck a couple inches in the ground (I was using a Goldhawk 5 x10)

• Like 1

Good news is the Minelab repair center has a database that can let you know if yours needs the audio updates done.

So I guess this is OK news, ☹️

• Like 1