Coin Shooting! - You Just Never Know What You Might Find Next!

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Got it.  I don't think it's universally accepted that cladding and plating are the same thing.  Below I attach a web post that emphasizes the distinction.  Admittedly this can be considered merely semantic.

I've seen some here use 'clad' to mean everything minted in the last several decades, including Jefferson 5 cent pieces (aka 'nickels') which definitely aren't clad.  That ambiguity can lead to the question of whether or not 95% copper coins, particluarly the Memorials of 1959-82, are considered clad by those who use this loose usage of the word.  That is what led to my question -- whether your sock black-jack was completely loaded with zinc cents as opposed to Memorial cents of all kinds.  Maybe its maker hated zinc cents (aka Zincolns) as much as I do and separated them out for this use.  😁

Following can be found here

282474436_Screenshotat2022-03-02230443.thumb.png.9591d81ff7763382b7324110cb119256.png

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't think it's universally accepted that cladding and plating are the same thing

Yeah, GB, not sure what the universe has to do with it but that's why I tried to avoid getting into the "weeds" too much by implying that the term was a generalization that stemmed from "my experience" I doubt very much if the kid that made the black jack out of a sock full of pennies knew the difference or cared one way or the other. :smile: