I Sure Do Miss Coins

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I sure do miss coins.....I can remember when they were everywhere. Here in Australia, we have $1 and $2 coins and these were lost in vast numbers. I can recall finding $50 worth most hunts. Nowadays, maybe $10. But to me, these lost coins and the condition they were in held greater value. Were they shiny, blackened, green or crusty green?....that information was priceless. Everyone swipes the plastic or their phone....no need for cash at the beach anymore.

It's a shame the pull tabs and can slaw haven't suffered the same fate.......and then there's the proliferation of stainless steel and Tungsten Carbide rings.

Whinge over........😟

Tony I agree, speaking for myself, I think it's okay to lament. If you think that's a whinge, then you need to talk to my wife about my 'constructive criticism' not directed at her by the way, I may be reckless but not stupid. Criticism [noun] to censure, or evaluate ? I prefer the latter. Not whinging Tony, evaluating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been envious of the larger denomination coins that can be found Down Under. In the US it is just the opposite. We continue to circulate practically worthless coins and the zinc ones are just trash after they have been in the ground or water a while. Our modern clad coins are somewhat of a nuisance and I will tune them out and focus on gold targets under the right conditions.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I sure do miss coins.....I can remember when they were everywhere. Here in Australia, we have $1 and $2 coins and these were lost in vast numbers. I can recall finding $50 worth most hunts. Nowadays, maybe $10. But to me, these lost coins and the condition they were in held greater value. Were they shiny, blackened, green or crusty green?....that information was priceless. Everyone swipes the plastic or their phone....no need for cash at the beach anymore.

It's a shame the pull tabs and can slaw haven't suffered the same fate.......and then there's the proliferation of stainless steel and Tungsten Carbide rings.

Whinge over........😟

I agree with you.

If it is any relief to you, think of this combination here in my area....

2,5,10,20,50 Cents of which only the first two denominations are discarded as ferrous.

Add a new tool and the need to dig out virtually 80 percent of the IDs so as not to risk leaving behind gold...

Add having to do it underwater with one hand....

Do you feel any better?😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I just want the green crusty coins back......gold was never far away and I knew I was successfully hunting "erosion".

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Whinge over........😟

When Carol and I were hitting a few beaches a day before changing over from VLF detectors to PI in 2003. The contest between use was the to see who got past the $100 mark in "fake gold coloured" $1 and $2 coins. We both did the beaches differently but it was always a close call who won.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

When Carol and I were hitting a few beaches a day before changing over from VLF detectors to PI in 2003. The contest between use was the to see who got past the $100 mark in "fake gold coloured" $1 and $2 coins. We both did the beaches differently but it was always a close call who won.

I can remember my coin tumbler running for days at a time if I got lazy and neglected the coins after a few seasons.

I would then make several trips to the banks coin counter and offload the many kilograms of coins. I even had a big pile of damaged $1 and $2 coins that I was able to claim at the bank for full face value !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tony said:

I fully understand but at least your clad coins can offer up clues as to what else might be around. Several years ago, there was talk that the Australian mint was going to produce a $5 coin......that's probably unlikely now 👎

Back around 2003, there was a monster winter storm that hit our area. At the time, I was offshore on a local touristy island (Rottnest Island). One of the exposed beaches coughed up over $250 in $1 and $2 coins.....a dozen or so silver coins and four big gold rings. I was down there at a 1am low tide with just a headlight....no detector needed for the first three hours !!

The whole beach lost 6 feet of sand.....all that was left was exposed limestone bedrock.

I didn't even bother with the "other coins". What a night that was and not another soul around....they were all in bed whilst I braved 70 mph winds, torrential rain and hail. I could hear the heavy 8 metre swell thundering over the outer reef....in the pitch black it was quite scary.....easily the best beach combing / detecting experience I ever had. I wish I'd taken pictures at the time as it was quite a haul.

I also had high hopes for a $5 coin, our 'plastic' notes and their durability are to blame, I think. Were you at the Basin by any chance ?

I’ve noticed a distinct lack of coins on our Florida beaches (East coast) in the last few years.  Pennies if anything g will be found more than anything 

• Sad 1