Sometimes Previously Hunted Sites Open Up

Champion effort, it seems silvers are far harder to come by in the US and getting one seems a big achievement, so getting four in one go, outstanding.

• Like 3

Any multi silver day is good in my book! If you’re interested, there are a variety of sites which will give you an approximate date for the shotgun shell based on the headstamp.  https://cartridge-corner.com/shotgun.htm is one example.  This is sometimes useful for dating sites when I haven’t found any coins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:13 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Or did someone hunt it decades ago but ignored nickels, not wanting to dig beavertails?  Note I found more nickels than imposters (five folded-over beavertails, a couple pencil ferrules, and a misc. scrap of aluminum).  The shotgun butt

GB, funny you say that. I often thought the same.  In the old parks I hunt an older nickel is the most common coin I find and without a doubt a 64 is the most common date. I like digging nickels, I'll dig them all day long. And my new thing now is searching for a Henning nickel. Since getting the Equinox in 2018 is when I really started pounding on the nickels and I often wonder of all those tumbled, rolled and turned in did I miss one. Henning nickels for those who don't know were counterfeit nickels with dates 1939, 44, 46, 47, 53. There was rumored to be a sixth die but never confirmed. For me it adds another layer of interest in the hobby.

Congrats on the silver score and other cool finds as well. Good to see you are enjoying the Manticore. Continued success. Mark

• Like 2

That is a nice hunt sir. Better to dig holes than thinking about digging holes, glad your out hunting. Love finding those Mercury dimes, beautifully designed. Looking forward to your next hunt.