Sometimes Previously Hunted Sites Open Up

When we go to our lucky land again...  we usually do it once vertical, other time horizontal...

And allways found something new.. ofcourse, if the land is promising 🙂

So.. good luck, my friend!

• Like 1

A successful and thoughtful hunt.

• Thanks 1

Nice hunt GB,

Looks like you're doing well with the M-Core, great to see a post from you. Nice silver score!! 👍 Pretty good place if you got that in 3 hours. 🤔

• Like 2

Very nice hunt GB and glad to see you out there again. I enjoy reading about your hunts as I know that you have hit the same sites many times.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

• Thanks 1

What is it about 1964 nickels ? They must have made a lot of them...I have found so many of those....I was saving them but now I just throw them in the clad bucket...

strick 

• Like 3

Nice finds!

Those pencil eraser bands give me fits, showing up like solid nickel signals on both the Equinox and the Legend. Schoolyards are obviously rife with them -- it feels like kids must bring their pencils out for recess and fling them all over the place just to spite future detectorists.

3 hours ago, strick said:

What is it about 1964 nickels ? They must have made a lot of them...I have found so many of those....I was saving them but now I just throw them in the clad bucket...

My experience is similar, and yes, they did mint a lot (2.8 billion from two mints, each over 1 billion).  That's about six times as many as any previous year and still a record.  It wasn't until 35 years later that the billion mark was again exceeded by a single mint.  I think it relates to the change from silver to clad (although the 5 cent composition didn't change).  Congress was slow to make a decision so the mint kept putting out 1964 dated coins until well into 1965.  Bowers also mentioned hoarding of coins in general, related to the popularity of the new Kennedy half dollar.  Seems strange but he knows his stuff.

27 minutes ago, glacialgold said:

Those pencil eraser bands give me fits, showing up like solid nickel signals on both the Equinox and the Legend. Schoolyards are obviously rife with them -- it feels like kids must bring their pencils out for recess and fling them all over the place just to spite future detectorists.

Yes, that's a common find in school yards as well as parks.  I guess they brought them out in their pockets for recess, and then...  They don't always read as clean (TID-wise) as the typical nickel, but they are close enough for those of us who don't want to miss any of the 5-cent coins, especially the older ones (Buffies and V-s) which can read a tad low sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Sometimes Previously Hunted Sites Open Up
On 3/20/2024 at 3:13 PM, GB_Amateur said:

it's from my birth year.

My birth year too!

Very nice hunt and writeup.  WTG

• Thanks 1